aiee I can't remember the name of this API?!

Started by
6 comments, last by serratemplar 19 years, 4 months ago
It uses OpenGL, it starts with "S" I think......!!!! I read an article recently that was talking about using it to develop a graphics engine and the whole thing is GNU and I cannot remember the name of the damned thing and it's killin me. I bet one of you can answer it in three letters and like four seconds. =) Help! SDL? SQRLELSOMETHING. =(
Advertisement
ha, that was it

SDL - Simple DirectMedia Layer

Awesome. I'm gonna try to learn this. =) Any thoughts on it? I'm comin from heavy DirectX use (mostly 2d, DirectDraw7, etc, DirectInput8...no sound or networking yet). I'm not lookin for why it's "the best" or "the worst"...just thoughts on how it works, maybe some links to good tutorials, etc.

Thanks all.
SDL?

That's all i can come up with.

Edit: Beat me

cone3d has some decent beginner's tutorials.
The documentation at libsdl.org is pretty good too.
I googled this a while ago, but I haven't read them, so I can't say how good they are.

SDL is a pretty good API to learn. It's very simple, it effectively handles all of the background window work for you, and it allows you to work with its graphics system or to use OpenGL.
What're you looking to do? It's a relatively easy API to work with (I came from a DX background too and started OGL with SDL). I'd definitely recommend it if only for the fact that you can get a lot done in a short while with it. Not to mention that you can use it as a diving board for OGL.
If a plant cannot live according to its nature, it dies; so a man.
So should I learn OpenGL *first*? Or use SDL as a springboard?
Learn SDL and use it as a springboard for learning OpenGL. You'll learn basic graphic theory, blitting, etc, etc.

Ryan
I have three tutorials up regarding SDL. They just cover the basics as I got distracted with Tetris, but I should get into more complex stuff later on.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Alright, I'll take a look at that stuff. Thanks guys =)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement