[java] Opinions on Java IDEs?

Started by
59 comments, last by tebriel 19 years, 3 months ago
Quote:CS professor must hate us all. He suggests we use BlueJ and Emacs
He wouldn't be a real CS professor/lecturer unless he recommended emacs or vi [grin]

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Advertisement
Emacs IS an excellent editor. You can customize it to do almost anything you like. Problem is, you first have to invest lots and lots of time in it, before you can actually exploit it's power.
Quote:Emacs IS an excellent editor. You can customize it to do almost anything you like.
Don't get me wrong - I didn't mean to knock Emacs! Just comment on (at least in my experience) very stereotypical nature of CS lecturers loyalties [grin]

Jack

Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Eclipse. And you are immediately at peace with the rest of the universe.

It's by far the best IDE I've seen today, though I'm still trying to get a debugger to run for J2ME classes.

Eclipse boasts lots of nice features and details that just have "made for coders, by coders" written on them. Code completion for XML and .java alike. Constant "per-line compilation" of the source you are working with, showing you errors and warnings while you type. A quick navigation bar that will have little markers in various colors letting you see the problems and TODOs of your current code how they are distributed over the length of the file. The Outliner is okay, but the package explorer is even better. No more distinguishing between "file browsing" and "class browsing"... the file browser has a class browser in it, open a file and there will be the outliner's contents right below the node in the tree.

I can't stop marveling at Eclipse.

And the performance is satisfactory (and often good), it's a myth that it allegedly needs 1 GB to run. 512 MB and some ~2Ghz of Wintel or equivalent computing power are completely sufficient.
IDEA is much better than Eclipse. Eclispe is ok but it's not brilliant.

...and Emacs rocks! Default keycommand for pasting text is ctrl+y and that's nothing you do with one hand easily... ...but then again, you can customize emacs to do everything. I bet you can get it to take your dog out for a walk.
I have been using Eclipse for over a year and I like it. I have also heard some good things about Netbeans 4.0+ and might give it a try.
Quote:Original Post By Thygrrr
Eclipse. And you are immediately at peace with the rest of the universe.

I like that statement :-) Might pass that on to a few people...

Quote:made for coders, by coders
Yeah, this is definitely one of the better things about it. Also, whilst IBM can throw $millions at the project they'll be kept honest by the open-source nature. Something that doesn't fit the "for coders, by coders" design will either get removed by someone, or replaced by something better.

Jack

Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
IDEA is much better than Eclipse. Eclispe is ok but it's not brilliant.

Idea is not free (is it open, at least?). That's a big, big bonus for Eclipse.
depending on what your background is (if you've used visual c++ 6.0 before), JCreator will feel right at home to you. JCreator's interface is very similar to that of visual c++ 6.0, it feels natural to me.

also on the speed issue, i've used both java and native coded ide's. now you can all argue all you want that the java ones are just as fast as the rest of them, but i can tell you, there is a pretty noticable difference still.

JCreator is written in 100% c++, its got to be one of the fastest ide's i've ever used.
"I never let schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain
Idea is supposed to be really nice, but even registering for the demo version is a pain. I have a co-worker who uses Idea, and it looks a lot like Eclipse to be honest.

I have to give the vote to Eclipse.

Another really good free one is JDeveloper by Oracle. Unless you want all of the bells and whistles (you won't), it is free to download on their website... however, it is very demanding about how projects are structured (directory structure). It becomes very difficult to import existing projects if it is important to keep src organized in directories a certain way.

Borland JBuilder is also free, and it's ok.

The cool thing about Java is that most of the really good, professional grade IDEs are free.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement