[java] Opinions on Java IDEs?

Started by
59 comments, last by tebriel 19 years, 4 months ago
Eclipse has my vote aswell, little slow but otherwise great.
Advertisement
Despite the fact that I frequently curse it (Daily at work in fact), I think I have to recommend Eclipse as the best free (and professional-grade) available tool for Java development.

If you get it and want an idea of its handy features (it has bugger-all documentation) then PM me and I'll give you a quick run down.

One tip- you may have to edit the desktop icon to Eclipse and allocate the JVM some more memory if you want tolerable speeds and youre working on a large project.

Good luck
Jon
PS. Dont - and I mean DO NOT, use BlueJ unless you like the idea of loosing hair through stress and general frustrated rage.

Jon
Quote:Despite the fact that I frequently curse it (Daily at work in fact)
There's something very familiar sounding about that [wink]. My current project is related to writing some new language editors as eclipse-3 plugins...

Eclipse, at least for Java, has a lot of very powerful features given that it's free/open-source. You've got decent debugging (comparable to VStudio imo), decent build management (Using ANT) and code-refactoring support built in.

Quote:edit the desktop icon to Eclipse and allocate the JVM some more memory if you want tolerable speeds
Got any more info on this? sounds interesting... my work machine has 1gb RAM - would happily allocate more to eclipse if it'll make it happier!

Cheers,
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Eclipse, all the way.

It's pretty sluggish on my 128MB/700MHz laptop, but works wonderfully on my very fast personal desktop and my work laptop (752MB/2GHz Celeron). As long as you have a recent machine, Eclipse should work fine, and I think RAM is more important than CPU in this case.

But enough of this "slow because it's written in Java" crap. Enough misinformation, please! Let's move on from the mid-nineties performance problems.

--cfmdobbie
Quote:But enough of this "slow because it's written in Java" crap
Two quick points I've found in my travels:

1. It's, from what I read, slow during loading simply because of the way it pre-loads lots of plugins and has to traverse a potentially huge depedency graph.

2. The SWT (Standard Widget Toolkit) that they developed for the GUI is amazingly fast (uses platform-specific native code to get the best performance/results). Makes you wonder what the £$%! Swing is playing at.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

emacs is not a simple editor! It should fill all of the needs that you want from an IDE. and more.
Another vote for Eclipse. I only have 1.0GHz with 512MB of RAM and I don't have speed problems with it, once it loads. It does have a longer load time than other progs, but I can wait for it. It also has excellent built in CVS support. It is unbelieveably easy to use CVS with it.
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
Loading an existing projetct into Netbeans is a real pain. I also found it alot slower than other IDEs.

I also give my vote to Eclipse. It's powerful, solid, extensible and has a big community providing lots of useful plugins for it, or you can develop your own. Apart from that, you can use Eclipse for C++, UML, and lots of other things as well, if you install the corresponding plugins.

If you have the cash, I can also recommend IntelliJ. I think it's the best commercial Java IDE. But I'm not sure if it's worth spending money here. Eclipse can do almost everything that IntelliJ can do, and it is being improved all the time.
IntelliJ IDEA +1
http://intellij.net/
Click EAP, it's free for evaluation of next version! (some sort of Release Candidate)

But remember, try it at your own risk, you may like it!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement