[java] Gamelan/Game source?

Started by
10 comments, last by moregames 23 years, 6 months ago
Whats happened to Gamelan? Are there any other good resource sites with java code to study? Any game source out there that is free to look at as reference?
Advertisement
I'm not too sure about game source but you can goto www.javaworld.com.It's a good site for learning java and you can post advanced questions there to ask their experts. Also check out www.jars.com, they have a listing of alot of applets and applications (games too) and some also include the source files.

JP.

=============================
a wise man once said....
www.thejpsystem.com

Edited by - loserkid on October 17, 2000 11:13:56 AM
==============================================I feel like a kid in some kind of store... ============================================== www.thejpsystem.com
Gamelan was obtained by Earthweb and is now a subdivision of that service. Their game articles are still available if you search for ''game'', but I can no longer find a section (previously called a ''workshop'') focused exclusively on game development. Anyone know where it might be?
moregames,

What kind of game are you wanting to make?
I want to make a mmorpg like everyone else in these forums...
I guess I''d like to write the server and client in java. I''m no javapro, but I have the basic understanding of the language. What I would like to know is if there are any open source projects like this in java that one can look at to learn from? Like are there any MUDs out there in java, where the source is available for viewing? Even other types of games where misc. game routines like pathfinding can be found would also be helpfull. Perhaps there are some books on this and java? Any tips on this would be nice.
Look in the faq for this forum. It has info on books and stuff.
JP.

a wise man once said....
www.thejpsystem.com
==============================================I feel like a kid in some kind of store... ============================================== www.thejpsystem.com
if you go to www.worldforge.org you can see just how insanely involved making an mmorpg can be. I thought about making a java client for that but the documentation wasn''t clear enough.
So far I''ve found Sourceforge.net and Sourcebank.com They both have some java game code but I couldnt find anything really exciting or worthwhile studying. Are there any other sites of this types you can think of?
Jim_Ross,

I looked into worldforge and it seems exciting. I couldnt find any java servers in the works. Is it possible to build such a server in java, does java have what it takes? If I'm not mistaken there have been attempts to build java MUDs?

Edited by - moregames on October 18, 2000 8:09:30 AM
At one point I spent a little time looking at making a World Forge client in Java. I was planning on using the Magician API for a psuedo tile based engine.

The problem was that their Atlas protocol libraries are only accessible from C++ or Python, which left two options.

Write a native Java version of their Atlas protocol

- OR -

Write a JNI wrapper for their C++ accessible version

It seemed like too much work (writing the new protocol library AND writing a client) - particularly considering that the current Atlas is XML based and that they are planning on eventually rewriting Atlas to use a more efficient binary format. There was no way I was about the write a Java accessible Atlas protocol library twice.

Edited by - Jerry Lynn on October 18, 2000 12:24:17 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement