C# Scripting question...

Started by
1 comment, last by kSquared 19 years, 4 months ago
Ok, I'm just starting in game dev. as a hobby, and I have a question about scripting. I'm using C# and Managed Direct X. I'm moving pretty good on a 2D engine, and then I got into, how do I code the actual gameplay? Read up on game scripting (Lua, Python, etc). but really started to ask myself, since this is just me on the project do I really need to embedded a scripting language? Can't I just create a bunch of public C# functions to interact with the engine related classes to code the gameplay? Please let me know what I'm missing here... Thanks, Dave
Advertisement
You can indeed, except it's not *quite* that simple. I asked a similar question here and got some really good responses with links. Take a look at some of them and come back if you have any questions :)
Quote:Can't I just create a bunch of public C# functions to interact with the engine related classes to code the gameplay?

That's what scripting is, fundamentally: using your API to do the work, but in a meta-language that describes how your APi is to be called when the player bumps into a wall, gets hit for damage, etc.
- k2"Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ} | {Blog/Journal} | {[email=kkaitan at gmail dot com]e-mail me[/email]} | {excellent webhosting}

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement