Beethoven.... copyright????

Started by
14 comments, last by Fruny 19 years, 4 months ago
I assume you can guess my question by the subject... I want to make some music that sounds very similar to a Beethoven sonata. I am actually playing the chords with an orchestra sound from moonlight sonata (3rd movement). So, am I going to be sued by Beethoven's relatives, or perhaps by some multi-trilionaire who owns a record company, or am I safe to do this? Thanks, -- Rocky
Advertisement
Beethovens work is in the public domain.
Beethoven's music: public domain.
Recorded performances of Beethoven's music: possibly copyrighted.
Short samples from recorded performances of Beethoven's music: possibly fair use, but better to ask permission.
I don't know how it is in the us, but here, copyrights expire 70 years after your death
translation: as long as you're recording/playing/synthesizing it yourself you should be fine.
Quote:Original post by bytecoder
translation: as long as you're recording/playing/synthesizing it yourself you should be fine.

Yes, that's what it seems, great! I will be doing it myself anyway!

Thanks everyone,
-- Rocky
Quote:Original post by quasar3d
I don't know how it is in the us, but here, copyrights expire 70 years after your death
As I recall, copyrights in the US are up to 140 years (90 corporate), and are likely to be extended further as early Disney cartoons once again threaten to become public domain in 20 years.

What bs.
The recent disney case brought US copyright in line with the rest of the world - it is unlikely to be extended again...
Quote:Original post by rpulley123
I assume you can guess my question by the subject... I want to make some music that sounds very similar to a Beethoven sonata. I am actually playing the chords with an orchestra sound from moonlight sonata (3rd movement).

If you want to compose some music that sounds like Beethoven, I do not suggest ripping ideas from one of his sonatas. This is more of an ethical thing, and I'm also sure you'd be much more satisfied with your music if you invented your own harmonic progressions anyway. You can use the music of other composers only as a learning tool or as a source of inspiration.

If you’re worried about getting sued, or worse: being labeled as a plagiarist, then it only makes sense to not use any of Beethoven’s ideas in your music.
If you want to compose music similar to that of an existing composer, then the best thing to do is to just listen to a lot of their music. I personally find that my improvisations tend to imitate whatever I've been listening to lately.
Jetblade: an open-source 2D platforming game in the style of Metroid and Castlevania, with procedurally-generated levels

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement