Sign in to follow this  
Ohmy

Problems with my code

There are some certain functions like setwindowlong e.t.c.. pure windows api functions i use in my code. When i run this in 98 it's draws things in the wrong places or, for some reason or the other react differently than it does on NT platform's like XP/2000 and the rest. Has anyone every expierenced this? And*, what do you do to resolve this?

(this is not an answer - just an observation)

It is almost definitely a compatibility issue betweens OSs, and a lot of commerical stuff, I've seen, has different versions, each suited for either NT/XP or other.

In all honesty, not that many people run older systems (I do), so it may not matter that much. I'm off to check MSDN to see if I can find you any help there.

EDIT:

Well, it appears that CWindow::setwindowlong is overloaded; and one of the functions is newer than the other.
LONG SetWindowLong( 
int nIndex,
LONG dwNewLong );

Is the new one. I'm guessing this is what's causing the problem. If I'm right, then you need to use the old one for backwards compatibility:
LONG SetWindowLong( 
HWND hWnd,
int nIndex,
LONG dwNewLong
);

Sometimes the core API values and/or behaviors change between Windows versions. Usually this is all well documented at msdn.microsoft.com although there are occasionally some errors there. Worst case you can google the specific window attribute constants (or whatever) and find version-specific behaviors fairly easily.