Errr now what...

Started by
9 comments, last by Antony52 19 years, 4 months ago
In one of my posts I said how I wanted to built a user interface with OGL etc. etc. This was going to be the base of my final MSc project. My prof however said,"have a look in the internet in case someone has already done it since if it exists then you cant make the same thing. You must do something atleast new". It turns out that glGUI exists. So I have to change project since the guy has done exactly what I had in mind. So now what can I do. I mean I am very interested in UI design very interested. There is a possibility to do user interface design for mobile phones but you think is feasible? Anyway the other thing I could do is built a rendered editor with OGL that will allow you to drag and drop boxes, sliders etc but while in render mode, or did someone already did that also? Any suggestions? You think I should try mobiles? Perhaps I should do anything with vertex/pixel shaders which was my other choice? What do you think?
Advertisement
hmm...animated GUIs then?
Animated? Sorry but I missed you. You mean moving panes and such?
moving, fading, color changing, sound effects, creative UI components, etc.
"I never let schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain
like buttons with animated icons inside it or something...sorry, it's probably an ugly suggestion...
I think your professor is a moron. What, are you supposed to do something that noone else has done before? I really don't understand how he thinks.
I don't know what particular field your MSc is in, but you could look into building some sort of 'reactive' system, similar in intent to this. Just use OpenGL for the lowest level and build the system on that.

It seems these kind of reactive visual systems are becoming more popular (esp with the advent of 'reactive functional programming').

You'd be more looking at the event model and the interactions between screen/logic objects than in the actual graphics side of things, so this might not be what you need.
Hello,

You could make a very non-traditional GUI too, supporting odd polygons (Hexagons for example) and of course pixel masks of things (to make them any shape at all). Unfortunately I've done some of that.. but don't tell your prof. ;).

~SPH
AIM ME: aGaBoOgAmOnGeR
Thank you guys. I am going to do this whether he like it or not. ReactoGraph looks a lot like ProGraph by the way.
Yeah, I believe it is based on some ideas from ProGraph as well as others.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement