Nvidia CG questions

Started by
4 comments, last by superpig 19 years, 4 months ago
Hi, I'd like to start programming shaders for OpenGL, and I planned to use Nvidia CG toolkit because I already got a book about it. It is a good choice?? or maybe OpenGL Shading Language is better? why? Shaders compiled using Nvidia CG toolkit works only with Nvidia graphic cards?? tnx a lot, bye
Advertisement
one of the advantages of a HLSL should be/is that its compiled on the fly (once) for the targeted subsystem (ATI/NVidia etc).

1) Start app
2) Load HLSL source
3) compile for subsystem
4) run
huraay!
As good a choice as any I guess. Get FX Composer (if you're using windows) aswell. It's a great little app. Well, big app.
And some of the advantages of GLSL:

- Not proprietary,
- Also compile at runtime for your platform,
- Multi-platform.
As far as I know, CG can be used both with OpenGL and DirectX. So once you learn it you be able to write shaders for both APIs. It's a big advatage I think.

See ya'
___Quote:Know where basis goes, know where rest goes.
Given that the two languages are so similar (and they're driving the same hardware), the important thing becomes the tools available for them. I've used NVidia's Cg tools and they're ok; I don't know what you'd use for GLSL.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement