Sign in to follow this  
MFox

Windows are getting resized on multiple monitors after leaving DirectX Fullscreen App

Hello there, I have my windows desktop expanded on four monitors. When I start my game in fullscreen-mode and leave it, then every window that is wider than just one desktop gets resized so it fits only one desktop and gets moved to that This is a very annoying behaviour (my vc++ window is spread over 3 screens). I tried a few commercial games to compare how they behave and some show the same, but there're also some that don't and let everything as it has been before, when I leave it. Anyone know a solution for this? Michael

Perhaps the games that do show this behaviour use DX while the others, which don't show this behaviour are OGL ? If so, this could be a DX behaviour when exiting full-screen.

Also, are you calling any command to restore the old resolution after exitting? I forget what it was, but maybe calling it or not calling it is what's causing this behaviour.

I just tried it with the following games:

halflife2 -> doesn't resize windows after leaving
painkiller -> doesn't resize windows after leaving
doom3 -> resizes windows after leaving

I'm exiting DirectX by calling the Release()-Method for the d3ddevice and dd3dobject.

Quote:
Original post by Coder
The fact that it happens with DX games but not GL games suggests that it's a DX driver problem. Tried contacting the IHV?

I don't know if it's a driver problem, as hl2 and warblade don't show this effect when leaving and I guess they're directx-games.

What does IHV stand for?

Quote:
Original post by MFox
Quote:
Original post by Coder
The fact that it happens with DX games but not GL games suggests that it's a DX driver problem. Tried contacting the IHV?

I don't know if it's a driver problem, as hl2 and warblade don't show this effect when leaving and I guess they're directx-games.

But you said above Half-life 2 did show the effect?

Quote:
What does IHV stand for?

Independent Hardware Vendor (e.g. nVidia or ATi)

I am having the same problem with my OpenGL engine. I specifically create a full screen app using a specific monitor and display device and when I exit the app, windows are shifted/resized and some windows skip to my other monitor. It is definitely not a driver problem because Warhammer 40k uses OpenGL with the same display device on the same monitor and exits smoothly. I honestly do not know what it is but I assume it has to do with the way the window is destroyed.

[quote]Original post by Coder

Quote:
But you said above Half-life 2 did show the effect?

No, you probably got me wrong. hl2 and warblade don't resize windows, but doom3 does. I meant it that way.

Quote:
Original post by Deebo
display device on the same monitor and exits smoothly. I honestly do not know what it is but I assume it has to do with the way the window is destroyed.

Hm, that's interesting. Did you try to set a delay between releasing opengl and destroying the window for a test? I think I'm going to try that out tonight.

I did a few tests after releasing the direct3d-stuff and everything stays cool(no resizing) until my Code is through and the compiler-generated "free everything"-code exits my program. There it happens somewhere.