DirectShow - missing streams.h

Started by
7 comments, last by pim 19 years, 4 months ago
Hi! I've just installet DirectMedia, and I'm trying to test it out, but I seem to be missing <streams.h>.. what's strange is that the samples also need this file, but It's not there :/ Any suggestions?
Advertisement
read the directx SDK readme. it answers this question.

it's in the samples folder (\directshow\baseclasses\ i think). Although, you'll also need to rebuild the base classes as you'll get another linker error when it cant find the "baset.lib" or "basetd.lib" files (iirc). Just open up the projects in \baseclasses\ rebuild both the release and debug profiles and remember where the outputs are stored...

you should be set to go after this.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

ok... so the files are in "classes\base"... but there's actually no vs project there :/ ...just makefiles and stuff.. actually quite strange, since I sort of expected ms would support/use their own products.. well... suppose I'll have to make my own project...

thanks for the help...
Hmmm.... but that wasn't supposed to be so easy.. I get ALOT of different errors... doesn't ms deliver any project files or any precompiled libraries? It's strange that you should need to compile their libraries :/
Quote:but there's actually no vs project there
On my system I have the SDK installed here: C:\DX9 SDK Summer 2004\Samples\C++\DirectShow\BaseClasses and there is a file baseclasses.sln. If I double click that, VStudio loads up everything and I can do exactly as I said in my first post...

Quote:doesn't ms deliver any project files or any precompiled libraries?
I did read as part of the DX9-beta program why, exactly, they did this - but the reason escapes me now. However, I believe it was something along the lines of being able to build a binary that was release/debug AND either unicode/DBCS/MBCS/ASCII... thus allowing them to ship one set of code and us developers to get whatever compatability we wanted. I could be wrong with that though.

Given it's a one-time operation, it is a bit annoying - but only annoying once..

Quote:I get ALOT of different errors
When compiling the base classes? or when compiling your code? both? Care to post them - maybe I/we can give some ideas...?

hth
Jack

Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Hmmm... ok... I'm starting to wonder if I've found the wrong version.. What's the current directmedia version? I've found directmedia 6.0 at

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=9909BA22-8CAA-4241-954C-E7D710E18522

Is this the one you're using?
Quote:Is this the one you're using?
Possibly! I'm using "DirectX 9.0 Summer 2004 SDK" (+extras) which includes the DirectShow components...

Quote: I did read as part of the DX9-beta program why, exactly, they did this - but the reason escapes me now.
For anyone who's interested, I found what I was thinking of... it's actually part of a current discussion I was reading on the MS-DX newsgroups: Question about DirectShow (is it legacy !! ??) and Missing inculde files in Microsoft DirectX 9.0 SDK Update The latter of the two contains a quote from Chuck regarding the state of DirectShow/Music/Play/Sound and how they're being moved out of the SDK over time.

Seems like this movement of things around, and lack of distributed binaries is just part of the plan.

hth
Jack

Thanks alot.. I'm checking out the extras now :) no wonder it didn't work as expected :/
Thanks alot! I had an old version of DirectShow. No wonder i didn't get it to work. Hmm... strange that MS don't give better information about this.. I searched through the site for info about directshow, and didn't find anything about how it's contained it the dxsdk extra pack, before you told me to look there!

Again: Thanks alot! you rule ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement