Error with D3D8.h ...

Started by
7 comments, last by Mark04 19 years, 4 months ago
Hi. I am trying to compile a basic 3D tutorial and I am getting an error saying Cannot Open Include File D3D8.h. I have searched my whole C drive and there is no file. Does this mean that I need to DirectX SDK (200MB!!) ? Also, if so, will the DX9 DSK contain this D3D8 file. Thanks Mark.
Advertisement
The DirectX 9 SDK was around 284MB when I downloaded it. Its a software development kit so the header files would be in there. Also if its DX9 then the header file you're looking for should be called 'D3D9.h'. Also if you're on Windows XP the DX SDK should be somewhere in the platform SDK folder under vc7(if you have the MSVC++.NET IDE/Compiler).

If you're using a free IDE such as Dev-C++4.9 then compiling DirectX example would be close to impossible. Its best that you get a microsoft compiler or consider another graphic API such as OpenGL.
---http://www.michaelbolton.comI constantly dream about Michael Bolton.
if u don't want the complete DX SDK, u may download a much smaller(7.1mb) one which only contains Include&Lib files.
here u get it: http://resource.gameres.com/dx9sdk.zip

by the way, i think u should look for some tutorials for beginners.
The DirectX 8 Package for Dev-C++(only 1MB)

The libs and includes you'll need to compile should be in there.

You'll also probably need this.
------------------------------"Are you pondering what I am pondering?" - Fruny"I think so Brain, but how do we make a hockey game with DarkBASIC?" - Scint
Hi.

I downloaded the Full DX9 SDK and added it in Link, Include Files.

I then compile my program and it comes up with 102 errors??

Any idea what I did wrong?

Thanks

Mark
Quote:I downloaded the Full DX9 SDK and added it in Link, Include Files.
So you followed the installer correctly, and it reported no errors?

Quote:I then compile my program and it comes up with 102 errors??
What errors? Can you compile the sample programs? Did you add the libraries to your own personal project?

Quote:Any idea what I did wrong?
Post a few examples of any common, yet specific, errors and I/we might be able to tell you what the problem is. in the words of Johnny-5 (iirc) "neeeed more eeenput" [wink]

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Hi.

OK, just concentrating on getting the sample programs working first.

I setup the include files fine but got the following errors:

c:\program files\microsoft directx 9.0 sdk (october 2004)\include\dsound.h(305) : error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'dwReserved1'

c:\program files\microsoft directx 9.0 sdk (october 2004)\include\dsound.h(305) : error C2501: 'DWORD_PTR' : missing storage-class or type specifiers

c:\program files\microsoft directx 9.0 sdk (october 2004)\include\dsound.h(305) : error C2501: 'dwReserved1' : missing storage-class or type specifiers

c:\program files\microsoft directx 9.0 sdk (october 2004)\include\dsound.h(306) : error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'dwReserved2'

c:\program files\microsoft directx 9.0 sdk (october 2004)\include\dsound.h(306) : error C2501: 'DWORD_PTR' : missing storage-class or type specifiers

c:\program files\microsoft directx 9.0 sdk (october 2004)\include\dsound.h(306) : error C2501: 'dwReserved2' : missing storage-class or type specifiers

c:\program files\microsoft directx 9.0 sdk (october 2004)\samples\c++\common\dxut.h(13) : fatal error C1189: #error : "The sample framework requires a Unicode build. If you are using Microsoft Visual C++ .NET, under the General tab of the project p
roperties change the Character Set to 'Use Unicode Character Set'."

Any idea why the sample files contain errors and how I can fix these?

Thanks!!

Mark.
Hi,

Unfortunately, not the obvious errors I've usually seen/experienced, but I'll see what I can think of...

Quote:c:\program files\microsoft directx 9.0 sdk (october 2004)\include\dsound.h(305) : error C2501: 'DWORD_PTR' : missing storage-class or type specifiers
'DWORD_PTR' is a datatype defined as part of the platform SDK. I couldn't find a web link for it, but on my local copy of MSDN in VStudio2002 it lists it as "Unsigned long type for pointer precision. Use when casting a pointer to a long type to perform pointer arithmetic." in the "Platform SDK: Windows API" section.

The other errors (C2146, C2501) are probably directly related. If the compiler doesn't know what DWORD_PTR is then it won't like the rest of the expression.

Quote:...fatal error C1189: #error : "The sample framework requires a Unicode build. If you are using Microsoft Visual C++ .NET...
If you're using VC++ 2002,2003 or 2005 you can solve this one just by following the error messages advice.

You haven't specified what compiler you're using, or anything much about your system... but, by any chance, are you using VisualC++ 6?

There are known issues about getting VC++6 to accept the later versions of the SDK, and requiring updates to the PlatformSDK. It wasn't DWORD_PTR precisely, but several similar errors occured with beta testers - and in all cases it was solved by upgrading VC6 to the latest service pack (and the latest STL implementation) along with the latest platform SDK.

If you are using VC7 (2002,2003,2005) then you're gonna have to look through the project settings and see if anything stands out as wrong - check the search paths to make sure that the latest files are searched first...

Although, if you're not using VisualStudio, you might have to get someone else's attention - I personally have no experience of using any other C++ IDE's.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Hi!

Thanks for the info.

I got all problems solved now... 0 errors 0 warnings!

I had to download the Extra Library files for the DX9 SDK (October Edition), which I didnt have in the first place.

Mark.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement