MFC or Win32 API

Started by
3 comments, last by daerid 19 years, 4 months ago
I have a question about MFc or win32.I mean for a turnbased strategy game or any other game that is written with directx which should be used.Or what is MFC needed for ?Do i need to learn that or use win32 purely?
Advertisement
WTL is preferrable to MFC, as it is a refinement and makes use of C++ techniques that became available well after MFC. It's the second Open Source release from Microsoft.
MFC is used mostly to build gui style applications like editors and other tools. Win32 on the other hand is a minimalistic os api layer used for game engines and such things that don't need MFC overhead. It's also used for building gui toolkits like Qt, Fox, etc. Most of the game gui elements are d3d/ddraw/gl components for direct and fast communication with the gfx hardware. They sort of mimick MFC/win32 in a way but are streamlined towards game guis not office applications.
Quote:Original post by JD
MFC is used mostly to build gui style applications like editors and other tools. Win32 on the other hand is a minimalistic os api layer used for game engines and such things that don't need MFC overhead.
Uh, no.

MFC is an object-oriented encapsulation of Win32 functionality for functionality and ease of use. Win32 isn't minimalistic, it's merely that MFC requires some rather heavyweight runtimes.
I don't get what's so hard to understand. Win32 isn't a framework, it isn't some other library or something.

It's the interface for windows. You CANNOT write programs that work for windows without calling into the Win32 API at some point. It is the Application Programming Interface for working with Windows.
daerid@gmail.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement