• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dragonknightx

Pushing pointers into a std::vector

This topic is 5044 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm currently stuck on "Creating a Scripting System in C++ - Part 2". I managed to get part 1 up and running without any problems, but with the addition of the second constructor and the memcpy() function, it compiles, but an assertion fails within dbgdel.cpp (it breaks on the line "_ASSERTE(_BLOCK_TYPE_IS_VALID(pHead->nBlockUse));"). A bit of code might help (I'll post the parts involved).
typedef unsigned __int16 OpCode;

class CInstruction
{public:
	CInstruction(OpCode Code);
	CInstruction(OpCode Code, const char* Data, size_t DataSize); // new constructor
	~CInstruction();

OpCode Code() const {return _Code;}
	const char* Data() const {return _Data;}
	CInstruction& operator=(const CInstruction& Other);

private:
	OpCode _Code;
	char* _Data;
};
//////////////////////////////////////////////
CInstruction::CInstruction(OpCode Code)
{	_Code = Code;
	_Data = NULL;
}

CInstruction::CInstruction(OpCode Code, const char* Data, size_t DataSize)
{	_Code = Code;
	_Data = new char[DataSize];
	memcpy(_Data, Data, DataSize);
}

CInstruction::~CInstruction()
{	cout << "Instruction starting destruction.\n";
	delete _Data;  // After this line, it never returns to my own code
	_Data = NULL;
	cout << "Instruction destroyed.\n";
}
///////////////////////////////////////

typedef std::vector<CInstruction> InstrList;

void main()
{	char* text = "This is some text";
	size_t textsize = strlen(text) + 1;

CVirtualMachine vm;
	CScript::InstrList iList;
	iList.push_back(CInstruction(op_Print));
	iList.push_back(CInstruction(op_Print, text, textsize));  // This line never completes
}

The first iList.push_back succeeds, but the second fails in the destructor, just as delete is called. The debugger reveals that CInstruction::_Data, points to garbage. Any suggestions? If it matters, I'm using Visual Studio .NET. [EDIT] Fixed some screwed-up HTML [/EDIT]

Advertisement
You allocate memory using new[] and free it with delete. That may cause your problem, use delete[] _Data;

Quote:
Original post by nyStagmus
Make sure that _Data isn't NULL when deleting. In the destructor try: if( _Data ) delete _Data;

No, deleting pointers to 0 is safe. "if" isn't necessary.

This looks like a class Rule of Three problem: you need to define a copy constructor and assignment operator for your class. The default copy constructor just copies the pointer value for your _Data pointer, which means if you create a temporary object and copy that, the _Data pointer will be deleted when the temp object goes out of scope, and you are creating a temp object in your call to push_back().

I see...I always thought vectors pushed the original into the list, but I suppose it would be easier for them to push a copy instead (just build it where you want it rather than move the original). I guess I get to go back to my books and learn copy constructors. Shouldn't be too hard [smile]

Thanks for the help, guys (I'm assuming...)! Once I added the copy constructor, it didn't give me any more problems). This is why I like this site - lots of helpful information from helpful people. Thanks again!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!