[java] Explain J2ME Emulators to me (running, debugging)

Started by
4 comments, last by Thygrrr 19 years, 4 months ago
Hi! I have a question that I don't really know HOW to conduct research for. Each search for emulators seems to yield only the links where to get them, not how to 'creatively' use them in unison with emulators of other vendors. I suspect the following to be the case: Most J2ME Phone emulators plug into some server app that's included in the Sun Wireless Toolkit. But I don't know how to invoke that, how to register an emulator with it, etc. My goal is to create an "out of the box" eclipse installation, which will be used internally at our company to finally get some kind of unified development environment on all workstations. The capabilities will include: - Ant & Antenna support (done) - Jakarta Oro for deployment (done) - ProGuard as the obfuscator (done) - repository of shared packages and code snippets on our server (working on it) - debugging of J2ME apps in the emulator (HELP! no idea) - having all emulators in one place, ready to launch from within Ant/Antenna (HELP! no idea) So, essentially, I want to put a whole bunch of emulators into a few directories, register these with Antenna and Eclipse in some way, and use them - WITHOUT installing the actual vendor SDKs on the machine.
Advertisement
Emulators are registered in the WTK directory by creating their own directory in the wtklib/devices directory. Poke around in there and you should find everything you need.
Hmm, okay, I didn't expect it to be that simple... no wonder there doesn't seem to be much documentation on it!

However, all those emulators seem to either bring their own modified WTK along (is it really necessary? I doubt it!), or are standalone emulators, like the Siemens SMTK S65 series emulator.

I'm a little stumped as to HOW the Sun emulator host will handle special APIs. (e.g. com.siemens.mp.game)

Let's see what I can do :) Also gets me an idea to "build" a Sagem emulator (there aren't any, but apparently, all you need is a picture of the phone, and some specs).
There isn't an emulator "host". The emulator is standalone, and runs standalone. There is a standard Java interface for connecting it to a debugger, but that's as far as it goes. Now, the WTK includes a very generic emulator that devices can use if they want to, and then only provide certain limited specs about the phone, but then they're rather limited in their ability to extend the phone's capabilities.
Quote:Original post by Thygrrr
- repository of shared packages and code snippets on our server (working on it)

im no expert... i jsut happened to read 1 or 2 articles on the matter at college.
seems like its a job for Agents. the agents theory say you can create a worm to monitor as many directories as youd like for changes and copy files around from one monitored dir to the other, so everytime someone recompiles some lib, it auto-goes into the server. you dont really need to have the worm spread around the network, for it can "travel" from one machine to the other instead: always jsut one running, on one single machine at a time, traveling around the neck as in a cycling pattern, fast enough to keep everything up-to-date.

just an idea :)
Nah, I'd rather stick with the tried-and-proven CVS (or maybe SVN). Thanks for the idea, though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement