Sign in to follow this  
3dmodelerguy

need help breaking down sound engine

I am right now in the process of designing my new 3d game engine (only on paper right now). I have started with the Game Engine and broken that down in to 3 pieces: Graphics Engine Sound Engine Input Engine I need help in how i sould break up the sound engine part, can anone give me some ideas?

The most obvious way is to split it to Sound and Music parts, where Sound is responsible for playing sounds (doh!) that should be loaded fully to memory (quite often sounds are small and are frequently played), while Music part is responsible for playing music file (not files, cause in 99% cases you want to play only one music at a time), which probably should be streamed from disk.
Also it would make sense to create separate part that abstracts process of actually loading sound/music files, so that Sound and Music can concentrate od doing only what they are supposed to do (not including kitchen sink etc.)
You could use reference counting of sounds (so that they won't be duplicated in memory) and identify sounds using some sort of universal id; also make Sound and Music singletons.

HTH and if you want more precise answers, you must give more precise questions ;-)