new to directX

Started by
9 comments, last by superpig 19 years, 4 months ago
hello, i am new to these fourms, and to directX. i have a year of c++/html/&#106avascript and a very little ammount of openGl. i have VC++6.0 and the newestSKD(october i think). i had a question that may have been asked elseware, but i couldent find it. the code on the matrices tutoral on http://www.ultimategameprogramming.com/Tutorial.php?category=DirectX&page=1 gets the following errors: --------------------Configuration: D3DMatices - Win32 Release-------------------- Compiling... D3DMatices.cpp Linking... d3dx9.lib(cpudetect.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol ___security_cookie d3dx9.lib(ssefasttable.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol ___security_cookie d3dx9.lib(d3dxmathx3d.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol ___security_cookie d3dx9.lib(cpudetect.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol @__security_check_cookie@4 d3dx9.lib(ssefasttable.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol @__security_check_cookie@4 d3dx9.lib(d3dxmathx3d.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol @__security_check_cookie@4 Release/D3DMatices.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 2 unresolved externals Error executing link.exe. D3DMatices.exe - 7 error(s), 0 warning(s) thanks if you can help. also, iwas wondering if there was any site dovoted to directX tutorals like NeHe is to openGl. ~metalhead
Advertisement
It has been asked here.

That thread points to the DirectX Extras package, which provides libs for Visual Studio 6 (thanks to ToMMe for the direct link).

Regards,
jflanglois
oh. thanks for the link!

now whenever i try and rebuild all from pressing F5, it the linker will just pause. it wont say anthing, the last line would be linking... and would just hang there. if there are any errors in the program, then it will hang after the last error is outputted. i cant stop the build from the menu, so i have to go into the task maneger and end MSDEV.exe (or whatever). has anone had similer problems?
Hm. Have you tried cleaning the project? Try clicking the Build->Clean menu item and rebuild. If that doesn't work, try making a new project.

Regards,
jflanglois
Quote:Original post by jflanglois
Hm. Have you tried cleaning the project? Try clicking the Build->Clean menu item and rebuild. If that doesn't work, try making a new project.

Regards,
jflanglois

yes, it will do this on any project that i make. i just figured out that i can go to build->build all, and that will work, but it wassent like this before.
about those extras, i dont know how ot install them. im sorry if i seem like a total dumbass, but i dont know how...
Sorry, I was downloading the extras.

I don't have a copy of VC++6 installed, so I can't verify this, but you can try overwriting the apropriate libs (make backups first) in your directx install directory and copying the dll to your project root directory and the pdb to the debug directory in your project directory.

See if that works.

[edit] Does the linker have problems even on non-directx projects?

Regards,
jflanglois

[Edited by - jflanglois on December 4, 2004 9:45:30 PM]
yes it dose. and iv alreadyt re-installed it, but it still dosent work...
What did you do before it started acting wierd?
Have you tried linking the libraries? I don't have Visual Studio with me but, try checking project->settings and link the d3d9.lib, d3dx9.lib and d3dsound.lib.
Flamers are worst than Newbies

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement