Hack.net

Started by
1,333 comments, last by RedZep 18 years, 7 months ago
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
The sequence, computed, modded with 27, and converted to letters (with 0 taken as a space) is "A GLOWVVT". The VVT is the weird part, of course.... and it's the only part with subtraction, so it might be wrong.

That sounds too easy. And the choice of mod 27 is arbitrary and has nothing to do with the puzzle. There's no "aha!" associated with this. If we get the solution, it should be obvious that it is, in fact, the solution.
- k2"Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ} | {Blog/Journal} | {[email=kkaitan at gmail dot com]e-mail me[/email]} | {excellent webhosting}
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by disease332000
Arr. But, it also might be completely different from step 1. It's made to be hard and varied. I've already screwed around with the numbers ALOT, and converted it into wierd bases -- it all turns out gibberish when converted to ASCII. Keep your mind open.

Someone quoted this apparently from the author:
Quote:I get a lot of email about step 2, and the only thing I ever say is that it's a logical progression from the first step. And yes, there is a prize at the end. Enjoy. No special skills or tools are required to solve any step of the puzzle.

So, focus on "logical progression from the first step".

in step 1, we were presented with a sucession of binary numbers, each one being the representation of the decimal value of an ASCII character.

in step2, we seems to have a sucession hexa/decimal/octal values
separated by spaces and +- operators. This should be the url of the next step encoded in some way.

I've not tried octals yet..
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Maybe we shouldn't limit ourself to hex and oct and dec and bin... maybe we have to convert from some obscure base, hidden in the message -- or, even, each number is of a different base, with the number before it indicating which base? I'll bet that we're dealing with wierd bases, here as a "logical progression of the first step." I'm just gonna make a console app and mess around with things.
Since there's a 7, it can't be less than base 8 (unless we're dealing with something more exotic).
Quote:Original post by disease332000
Maybe we shouldn't limit ourself to hex and oct and dec and bin... maybe we have to convert from some obscure base, hidden in the message -- or, even, each number is of a different base, with the number before it indicating which base? I'll bet that we're dealing with wierd bases, here as a "logical progression of the first step." I'm just gonna make a console app and mess around with things.

How about base 9?
22?
If you try googling for "nine bows" you get some interesting results. No idea how it relates...

EDIT: funny, this got posted empty for some reason.

[Edited by - owl on December 5, 2004 12:02:49 AM]
I think it could be a IP packet...
i tried converting every number into binary and then putting all the numbers end to end. you get 4 octets that are equal to 222, 161, 187, 218, and 213. those numbers equate to DE, A1, BB, DA, and D5 in hex. however doing those steps still got me nowhere
Could be an IP adress to another website which contains step 3 -- in some kind of encrypted form.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement