Hack.net

Started by
1,333 comments, last by RedZep 18 years, 7 months ago
Quote:Original post by owl
heh, I think you got a point there. The guy is a liar. He says no skills or tools, but one had to know binary and http protocol to solve the first one.
Well, binary, yeah, but why HTTP? It tells you to get "/two". That's pretty self-explanatory.
Advertisement
Maybe he went to middleschool for geniuses (genii) ?
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
heh, I think you got a point there. The guy is a liar. He says no skills or tools, but one had to know binary and http protocol to solve the first one.
Well, binary, yeah, but why HTTP? It tells you to get "/two". That's pretty self-explanatory.

Not to the layman.
"I study differential and integral calculus in my spare time." -- Karl Marx
Quote:Original post by temp_ie_cant_thinkof_name
Quote:Original post by Sneftel

Not to the layman.

Yes but layman!=middleschooler. Most kids these days are very comfortable with internet/computer related stuff.... :D
Yes, they are just hax0rring away and could nab this puzzle like gang busters probably. Does anyone know any middleschoolers?
Quote:Original post by Erik Rufelt
27 26 30
would be
27*31*31 + 26*31 + 30
and then we add
3 11
which is
3*31 + 11

i tried searching for an answer where all "digits" in the base 128 answer where actually "letters" in the ascii table.. didn't get any until base 138.. seems farfetched
feels like it should be much easier than this if anyone in middleschool can make it...

I tried last night the middleschool version of this :) Reading the line as plain base 10 algebra. Written out in full form (with parenthesis and multiply signs it can be read as -

(27*26*30) + (3*11) + (1*15*22) + (1*23) - (1*23) - (1*22) - 2

it can also be simplified down to this -

(27*26*30) + (3*11) + (14*22) - 2 or
(27*26*30) + (31*11) - 2

Either way gives the answer 21399 which doesn't mean anything to me. It doesn't seem to work as a port number, directory or html page so is probably not right but I am trying to think of simple things for now.

Dan

Possible solution: someone just email the creator of the puzzle and inform him that over 1 million man-hours have been spent on this, and it may be hurting people indirectly because of it's wasting time. I must have spent over 3 hours on this alone. It may not be illegal but it's immoral even to us.
You know, if this turns out to be a hoax, I think it would be awesome if we all pitched in and made our own Website investigation puzzle maths thing. I reckon if we all pitched in, decided on some cool ideas it could be quite fun to build something like this.

In fact, it could probably be done across the forums, with one post to start it with a puzzle that points to a URL which goes to a developer journal, then another puzzle in that which goes to someone’s showcase with some clues pointing to an old post someone could edit and update with some clues. This way, not only would it be a fun game, it could be used to promote people showcases and journals.
That's a great idea!
I did a google search for "27 26 30+3 11+1 15 22+1 23-1 23-1 22-2" and one of the sites had nothing to do with ninebows... *Edit* Unfortunately it's from a log of questions people asked a chatbot :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement