Tool for mixing 5.1 surround

Started by
5 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 3 months ago
I came across some software that allows you to create 5.1 surround DVDs by giving it 5 mono audio tracks that it then mixes together. Sounds great, but creating the 5 mono audio tracks is kinda tough. Is there a tool that allows you to create sound "sources" that you can move around inside a space, then have it render the output to 5 mono tracks? I've thought about writing my own tool to do this, but since I've never had much luck mixing sound data, and since this would probably quickly approach the complexity of OpenAL I figured I'd ask if something like this already existed.
I like the DARK layout!
Advertisement
I guess that's a "no" then.
I like the DARK layout!
It'd be too easy to use OpenAL instead. Although such an app would be nice for "testing" environmental effects out. I'm aware of no such app.
"This I Command" - Serpentor, Ruler of C.O.B.R.A
Any sequencer should allow you to export your tracks to individual files. I know Cubase and Sonar do. Those are the only one's that i've used.
Anthony Rufrano
RealityFactory 2 Programmer
You would have to use an AC3 Encoder.
Cubase SX(but not SL) has a SurroundPan feature, which lets you visually pan tracks in 2d space and then export as various formats (3 speaker, 4 speaker, 5.1 etc)
I'm using Nuendo and although it does contain a Surround Panner...You still need the AC3 encoder. It's all about the encoding.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement