Square textures won't work

Started by
0 comments, last by Kibble 19 years, 4 months ago
Imagine if I had a surface, just a poly, which is 32x128 points in size. As in 32 points wide, by 128 points tall. Something like a wall section. How are these normally textured? What I wanted to do was to put 4 wall textures into each 256x256 bitmap, each wall texture section being 64x256, lined up in columns. But at the same time, I absolutely need to tile textures on long walls. For example, a single poly which is 256x128, but the 256 width part has the texture tiled every 32 points. As far as I know, there's no way to tile a texture unless the texture-coordinate spans the entire width of the bitmap. And there is no way I can imagine it doing that if the surface is unproportional, being longer than wide. Anyone have a clue what I'm talking about? Anyone have any ideas? I'm not against non-square textures, but my entire world mesh will be using them. I've also heard that some cards may put padding on the other non-square part of the texture. Is this true? If so, wouldn't this also screw up the tiling? Is it possible to tile a texture on a face even if the face doesn't use the full bitmap (0,0,1,1)? Or in other words, is it possible to tile a section of a bitmap on a face? Thanks for any help [smile]
Advertisement
It can be done with pixel shaders.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement