Sign in to follow this  
ViTAS

What do you call this certain kind of 2D sprite?

Has anyone here seen the old Playstation game "Gundam Battle Assault/Master" or the Gameboy Advance game "Medabots Metabee version"? Anyways I was wondering about their sprites. How come their sprites are 2D but move smoothly in a strange kind of way? As if every part of their body is individually animated? In a way, it reminds me of a 3D object but these games aren't cel-shaded (or so I think) Does anyone know what's up with those sprites? And can anyone tell me how these are made?

Sprites are simply 2-d pictures. Animation can be as smooth and detailed as developers can afford to make. The developers of these games may have had several professional animators or expensive 3-d animation software to create their animation. The more intermitant frames of the animation you create, the smoother the animation will be. The detail of the animation is determined by the artist. It may well be that each body part is individually animated.

This is probably how it's done:

1. modeled the game characters using 3D modelers such as 3DSMAXg or MilkShape 3D
2. with modeler features, the character can be animated.
3. The animation frames are then stored as bitmaps and used as sprite images

doing it this way makes your characters look 3D models even when it's not. the higher the framerate in animating using the modeler, the smoother it gets, although at the price of memory you'll use to keep the bitmap sprites.

btw mate, you from manila?

harmless: Yes :) I'm from San Juan to be exact.

Ok, I found some info.

Bandai of Japan calls this technology "Motion Parts System" or MPS. Some call it "Multi Joint Animation".

Apparently, it works by making the character/robot out of separate little sprites and individually animating them. Kinda like cutting a paper doll by its joints then sticking them together at their respective places using pins. One popular game which used this style is Rayman. A new arcade fighting game also uses this and that game is Sammy's Rumble Fish.

I'd like ot know if there any tutorials on how to make and program such sprites?

[Edited by - ViTAS on December 6, 2004 10:31:06 PM]

Quote:
Original post by ViTAS
I'd like ot know if there any tutorials on how to make and program such sprites?
How would it be different from any other type of animated sprite?

Draw head at position + headOffset
Draw torso at position
Draw leftArm at position + leftArmOffset

and so forth.

I did something similar a long while ago.

Oh ok, thanks! :D I was just making sure if there was somekinda different way to do it or if there would be some issues/problems.

harmless: Are you a gamedev or artist?

Quote:
Original post by ViTAS
Oh ok, thanks! :D I was just making sure if there was somekinda different way to do it or if there would be some issues/problems.

harmless: Are you a gamedev or artist?

gamedev :)