Is The Right Kinda Implementation I Should Be Aiming For

Started by
2 comments, last by antareus 19 years, 4 months ago
Hi, I'm writing my third engine for DX apps. I'm aiming to have it script driven. So absolutely everything is written in text files. The engine takes care of the rest. I'm going to write my own script language, for educational purposes. Should a script engine really cover everything, including things like window size etc? ace
Advertisement
Quote:Should a script engine really cover everything, including things like window size etc?
A scripting language should cover whatever you want to USE it for.

If you want it so you can effectively write an entire game from your own language without ever touching DX/C/C++/VB/Whatever, then yes, something low-level like window-size is important.

If you only want to use it to script in-game sequences (e.g. NPC's and/or set-pieces of action) then low-level stuff like window-size is probably not that important.

Given this is your 3rd engine, I'd recommend you decide EXACTLY what you want it to be able to do before simply declaring "everything". A scripting language that covers everything is probably going to converge quite quickly on a near-complete language itself, which isn't that easy to implement. A cut-down/restricted scripting language for specific usage is likely to be easier to develop.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Thanx
If you want to write everything in a scripting language, why not just dispense with writing the language, and write the game in something like Python?
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement