Sign in to follow this  
jakpandora

Allegro or SDL?

I think i have asked this question before, but i wasnt really ready for graphics when i asked it. Which, in your opinion, is better: Allegro or SDL? also, which has better/more tutorials on the net? Also, i would appreciate it if you could point out any other noteworthy features or anything important about there libraries.

I would go with SDL. Why? If you stick with game programming and eventually want to do something 3D, SDL simplifies getting started with 3D by making it easy to set up OpenGL.

As far as tutorial's on the web, there's Cone3D (http://cone3d.gamedev.net/cgi-bin/index.pl?page=tutorials/gfxsdl/index) and PnP Bios has SDL tutorials at http://mavweb.mnsu.edu/longaj/cornerstone.htm

Either way, both are good choices, and depending how far you go, you'll have to learn plenty of other API's.

I would look at some sample code for both libraries, see which one you're more comfortable with, and then choose that one. I liked SDL better, and I'm currently working with SDL and OpenGL.

Quote:
Original post by wyrzy
I would go with SDL. Why? If you stick with game programming and eventually want to do something 3D, SDL simplifies getting started with 3D by making it easy to set up OpenGL.

As far as tutorial's on the web, there's Cone3D (http://cone3d.gamedev.net/cgi-bin/index.pl?page=tutorials/gfxsdl/index) and PnP Bios has SDL tutorials at http://mavweb.mnsu.edu/longaj/cornerstone.htm

Either way, both are good choices, and depending how far you go, you'll have to learn plenty of other API's.

I would look at some sample code for both libraries, see which one you're more comfortable with, and then choose that one. I liked SDL better, and I'm currently working with SDL and OpenGL.

OpenGL with Allegro. Personally, I prefer SDL. But you really aren't limited regardless of which one you choose. Try them both and see which one you like better!

What I've learned from my many year of game development is that vs. threads are totally pointless. Just choose one and go with it, and if you do like it switch. If you like what you switched to, keep it, if not, revert back to the first one.

ok, thanks for everyones comments. i think ill probably try SDL, and if i dont like it, ill try allegro. If anybody else has anything to say or would like to share some comments, please do.

*EDIT* well, i looked at the SDL tutorials on all of the sites you suggested, and i got somewhat lost. I then realized i had a book called Game programming all in one 2nd edition, which teaches using allegro. I think ill try using the book and allegro now instead. However, it teaches using C instead of C++, which i have been programming in. exactly how different are these languages? i never really understood that.

actually, in my opinion, there something out there that's better than both allegro and SDL. ClanLib. It's cross-platform, supporting Windows 95 and above, Linux, and now Mac OS X. And it has a crap-load of advanced features that neither Allegro or SDL have. The only problem with it is that it's kind of advanced. So if your not fairly experienced with C++ and programming in general, you might find it too overwhelming. It's what I personally use for all my game projects. At least give it a look at www.clanlib.org.

Oh yeah, tutorials on it are rare to non-existent, though there is decent documentation on the main webpage above, so that may be a factor in your decision

Another thing to keep in mind if you choose to use SDL is that you don't have to use c or c++. I just started learning python and there is a library called PyGame which is a python SDL wrapper with alot of added functionality. I just thought I'd mention that there are different routes you can take. Don't limit yourself!