Sign in to follow this  

Big O proofs

This topic is 4756 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to prove that 3n^3 - 2n^2 + 5nlog(n) + 10 is O(n^3). So I said that 3n^3 - 2n^2 + 5nlog(n) + 10 <= 3n^3 + 5n^3 + 10n^3 for all n >= 1. However, I'm not sure if I can just make the claim that 5n^3 is >= 5nlog(n) without proving it. Can somebody help with this. If I try to prove it using induction I get stuck on the induction step because I'm not sure how to make 3k^3 > klog(k) imply that 3(k+1)^3 > (k+1)log(k+1). Also I have to prove that 3n^3 - 2n^2 + 5nlog(n) + 10 is not O(n^2). To do this I have to come up with an n such that for any positive real number c and any natural number B. n >= B and 3n^3 - 2n^2 + 5nlog(n) + 10 > cn^2. But n has to depend on c and B. Somebody said to solve for n to get something with c and B in it but I'm not sure how to do that with the nlog(n) in there. I hope somebody can help because this is driving me crazy.

Here's what I have:

5n^3 > 5nlog(n)
n^3 > nlog(n)
n^2 > log(n)
if n > 1:
n > log(n)

when n is 1, the inequality is:
n > log(n) => 1 > 0
which is true

dx[x] = 1
dx[log(x)] = 1/(ln(10) x)

1 > 1/(ln(10) x) for all x > 1
therefor, n > log(n) will always be true (I know this because it is true at n = 1 and the left side always increases faster than the right. I could use an integral to write this formally...)

hopefully that made some sence.

About the second half. the inequality: 3n^3 - 2n^2 + 5nlog(n) + 10 > cn^2 is not always true. I set n = 2 and c = 10 Then inequality becomes 29.8229 > 41.0191. I must have misunderstood what you were trying to proove.

I'm assuming this is a HW question, which they don't like around here, but I'll answer anyway.

3n^3 - 2n^2 + 5nlog(n) + 10 is O(n^3)

First you can scrap all the constants, since it's irrelevent to asymptotic behaviour.

3n^3 - 2n^2 + 5nlog(n) + 10 is O(n^3)
=
n^3 - n^2 + nlog(n) is O(n^3)

You can also ignore lesser terms, for the same reason above. The n^2 is definitely less than n^3, and so is the nlogn, considering that logn < n.

That leaves you with n^3.

Dwiel: Thanks for the bit about n > log(n) for n > 1. That helped quite a bit.
As for the second part, c cannot be chosen, it has to work for any c. I think I have an idea where to go with that though.

outRider: Thanks for the help but it has to be a more formal proof than simply ignoring constants and lower terms. It's ok though, I think I have it figured out.

This topic is 4756 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.