• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Dark_Light

[.net] Making an empty buffer

This topic is 4973 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, This is more of a question for C# than Direct X, but i am using this in a Direct X program and so i am asuming someone else has needed to do this! i am locking a texture using the InternalData.ToPointer method. but i want to copy this data to some other buffer. now i can do this in C++ but in c# how the hell do i make a new byte buffer! note NOT a byte array but a chunk of memory. i am using "unsafe" code so there must be a way.. i just dont know much about c# yet. thanks

Advertisement
I'm not sure, but it sounds like you want to allocate a chunk of unmanaged memory. To do this use the System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.AllocHGlobal(int) method. It allocates however many bytes of memory you specify on the unmanaged heap and returns an IntPtr (which can be converted to a void*, char*, etc.). Of course, since the memory is unmanaged, you'll also have to deallocate it when your done with it, which can be done using the System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.FreeHGlobal(IntPtr) method.

You can also use the fixed statement to pin some memory in place:

unsafe {
byte[] b = new byte[200];
fixed(byte* bp = b){
//fill it up
}
}

Quote:
Original post by turnpast
You can also use the fixed statement to pin some memory in place:
*** Source Snippet Removed ***

This will work well, but keep in mind that while an array is pinned, the garbage collector has to *work around it* as it were to prevent it from being moved around in the managed heap. If you pin an object for a long time, this can incur a performance hit. If you pin an array make sure you do it in as small of segments as you can:

Do this:

while(conditionMet) {

//do stuff

fixed(void* ptr = array) {

//do the stuff that requires the pointer

}

//do other stuff

}

Instead of this:

fixed(void* ptr = array) {

while(conditionMet) {

//do all that stuff

}

}

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!