Sign in to follow this  
lazE

lasers and axial billboarding

alrighty... i currently use axial billboarding to achieve several effects in my small demo. im at a point where id like my hovercraft to shoot a nice looking laser instead of the crap it currently shoots... it seems that a bunch of people use axial billboarding for their lasers but that wont do it for me because the pov of my camera is behind a vehicle. so getting the the laser to appear as though its facing me either makes it look like a long bar is jsut shooting outward from me. how do you achieve the laser effect in a first-person-ish pov?

I've actually found axial billboarding to work perfectly well from 1st and 3rd person views, even with the axis passing very close to the camera. Perhaps there's some other problem with your rendering? Do you have any screenshots?

Edited for spelling.

my original post was pretty unclear -- sorry. at the time of writing it i hadnt implemented the laser. i was just trying to picture it in my head. i went ahead and gave it a shot and yeah, youre right. it looks pretty nice.