• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Upgrading code

This topic is 4886 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
There's a section covering this in the docs. Generally, it's not hard. For a lot of things, you'll just change interface numbers. However, some newly things have been added (or old things renamed) like sampler states. It'd take anywhere from a couple of hours to 3 or 4 days, depending on the codebase.

How about the setup process of directx, is it the same process? Right now I have a class that handles setup and initialization of dx structures such as textures and buffers of the like. I could post the code if you would like to see it, there isn't much to go through.

It's about the same, yes. Did you take a look at the DirectX Graphics -> Converting to DirectX 9.0 section in the documentation?

You can post the code if you like [smile]. Just make sure you surround it with [source][/source] tags.

I'm looking at it right now, it seems like there isn't much changed that will effect me.

*edit* removed code; I seem to have got it basically converted.

[Edited by - PumpkinPieman on December 5, 2004 11:16:13 PM]

Sorry to bump this, but I'm at the point in my program where my program is having a problem excepting the shaders that were used in DX8. I checked up on shaders in direct x 9 and I'm not really sure whats changed. Could someone explain whats new with the shaders?

Porting shaders involves adding declarations like:
dcl_position0 v0
dcl_diffuse v1

In general, dcl_<usage> register.
(I'm not really sure of the example usages I've used, because I've not written vs code for like 5 months. Lookup the documentation)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement