• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Mezmirous

DX8 vs. DX9?

This topic is 5038 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I had purchased a book by Andre LaMothe a while back entitled "Game Programming All In One". I had lost the data-CD that came with the book, and the only thing I really needed on that disk was the DX8 SDK. Since I can't get the DX8 SDK off of msdn anymore, i'm kind of at a loss. If I get DX9 will the header includes/functions be the same? If not can someone give me a valid link to where I can get the DX8 SDK? Thank you, ~Mezmirous

Advertisement
While D3D9 is a lot like D3D8, it has changed substantially in some areas. Check out the 'DirectX Graphics -> Converting to DirectX 9.0' section of the 9.0 SDK to read about the biggest differences.

Here is a site that has a lot of the old SDKs available for download. They have 5 different versions of the 8.0 and 8.1 SDK [smile].

If you got the DX9 SDK, you can still use DX8. I would say get the DX9 sdk anyways, since you might like to try using it sometime, and you can still use DX8.

[EDIT] ^^ Beat me

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!