Sign in to follow this  
Alex Sauer

Texture info not being copied when I convert a 3ds file to md2

I've decided to convert the 3ds models I want to use in my game into md2 files. I've tried converting them with the Quake Model Editor (Q2loader?) that somebody suggested in another thread. However, when I try to import a 3ds file, and then export it to an md2 file, I am asked to locate a pcx file. I'm assuming this is for the texture, but the texture is already on the model in the 3ds file. So I can't figure out how to convert to an md2 file correctly using that program. I tried another program, Quick3D Geometry. This program lets me open a 3ds file, and then save it as an md2 file. However, when I open the md2 file, the program tells me that it cannot find a skin file, and the model loads without the texture map that was on it in the 3ds file. Do these programs just not support the transfer of the texture between 3ds and md2 formats, or is there a way that I can get the original texture to be mapped to the model once it is converted to md2 format? Thanks.

I see. Well I've converted a 3ds model of a lighthouse that was obviously drawn with colored polygons. When I view the md2 file, the model is entirely gray. Why wouldn't it copy the color values used for the original model?

Quote:
Original post by Alex Sauer
I see. Well I've converted a 3ds model of a lighthouse that was obviously drawn with colored polygons. When I view the md2 file, the model is entirely gray. Why wouldn't it copy the color values used for the original model?

Because MD2s don't support materials, only textures.