question about verticle synching

Started by
7 comments, last by Khaos Dragon 19 years, 4 months ago
I am just wondering if it is possible to turn on vertical synching to a specified amount when setting a full screen mode, or if I just need to artifically produce the effect using timers and delaying each frame? Currently I am using SDL/OGL and when the user turns off v-synch, the games runs fine but will typically run at a few hundred fps and make the graphics slightly jittery.
Advertisement
then why let the user turn off v-synch ?
Eh? How do I stop the user from turning it off? For most graphic card drivers, the option is available by rightclicking on the desktop.
Theres no way to force it on if the user has forced it off, however you can request it via the WGL_EXT_swap_control extension, the function call you want being wglSwapIntervalEXT(1); to enable v-sync or replace the 1 with a zero to disable.

Note: This are only requests, the driver is free to ignore it and will do if the user has forced v-sync on or off in the control panel.
the user should be able to turn it off/on if they want. same with running in a window/fullscreen let the user decide. any app the starts up fullscreen soon gets deleted on my computer
anyways enuf ranting .
sound slike theres something wrong with the way your base code is contructed, things should run smoother with higher fps, not jerkery
Quote:Original post by zedzeek
the user should be able to turn it off/on if they want. same with running in a window/fullscreen let the user decide. any app the starts up fullscreen soon gets deleted on my computer
anyways enuf ranting .
sound slike theres something wrong with the way your base code is contructed, things should run smoother with higher fps, not jerkery

Well tearing often results when the fps is severely larger than the vsync rate.
if the user has chosen it then the user has spoken, the best you can do is inform them of the results of turning v-sync off and let them get on with it, forcing you users to put up with a set framerate is never the right way forward
Quote:Well tearing often results when the fps is severely larger than the vsync rate.

is the tearing what u meant with 'jittery' i assumed it was something else
Quote:Original post by zedzeek
Quote:Well tearing often results when the fps is severely larger than the vsync rate.

is the tearing what u meant with 'jittery' i assumed it was something else

yes

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement