3d modeling program with a simple file format?

Started by
3 comments, last by izzo 19 years, 4 months ago
I'm going to be programming a 3d game soon, and I need to know a good modeling program thats easy to read in from so that my artist can start practicing with it. Skeleton animation would be a plus. I'm gonna use C++ and D3d. Thanks.
---"What? What is it? Is it the monkey in the pants? It's the monkey in the pants, isn't it. Don't give me that look."
Advertisement
The ASE (Ascii Scene Export) format is probably the best to learn with because it's human-readable and therefore fairly easy to parse, and there are also a fair number of tutorials and even code around that will help you out.

I know for a fact that 3D Studio MAX exports the ASE format, and I'm sure most other programs would probably be able to export it or have a plugin available. If all else fails, you should be able to find a converter somewhere on the net.
You could also use the *.raw file type.
The MilkShape 3d format is pretty simple too, though AFAIK it doesn't have a lot of support in any other programs.
Milkshape is very good and cheap too! It can import a range of formats. It can save in a binary format and an ASCII text format.

cheers
sam.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement