• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
evolutional

[Solved] GCC Templated Functor problems

This topic is 4949 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to compile my Manta-X project under GCC 3.3.4 and have run into some problems with the messaging system that my Entities are relying upon. The project was coded mainly in VC++7 and I received no problems at all, so I'm wondering if I'm not quite adhering to some standard or something. So far I've had a few errors and wranings thrown back at me, but they're mainly to do with reinforcing const references - this one is alluding me. The message functor template class is defined as:
class IEntityMessageFunctor : public IMMO
{
public:
  virtual int operator()(sEntityMessageInfo *msg) = 0;  // call using operator
  virtual int Call(sEntityMessageInfo *msg) = 0;        // call using function
};

template <class TClass> class TEntityMessageFunctor : public IEntityMessageFunctor
{
private:
  typedef int (TClass::*FUNCTOR)(sEntityMessageInfo *msg);   // pointer to member function
  TClass* pt2Object;                  // pointer to object
  FUNCTOR fpt;
public:
  TEntityMessageFunctor ( TClass* _pt2Object, FUNCTOR _fpt )
  { 
   pt2Object = _pt2Object;
   fpt=_fpt; 
  }
   // SNIP
};

In my Entity class I have a member function int Entity::OnUpdate( sEntityMessageInfo *msg). The problem occurs when I register the message with my handler, or more specifically when I'm creating a new instance of the templated functor eg: IEntityMessageFunctor *test = new TEntityMessageFunctor<Entity>(this, OnUpdate); The errors I'm getting from GCC follow:
Entity.cpp: error: no matching function call to
 MantaX::TEntityMessageFunctor<MantaX::Entity>::TEntityMessageFunctor( MantaX::Entity* const, <unknown type>)

Candidates are:
 MantaX::TEntityMessageFunctor<MantaX::Entity>::TEntityMessageFunctor(const MantaX::TEntityMessageFunctor<MantaX::Entity>& )

The thing is, I'm stumped. I've played around with it for a while and just can't figure it out - google's not helping much either so I thought I'd throw it out here. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong here? Thanks -Oli [Edited by - evolutional on December 6, 2004 4:56:16 AM]

Advertisement
Did you try changing:

IEntityMessageFunctor *test = new TEntityMessageFunctor<Entity>(this, OnUpdate);

to:

IEntityMessageFunctor *test = new TEntityMessageFunctor<Entity>(this, &Entity::OnUpdate);

Quote:
Original post by SiCrane
Did you try changing:

IEntityMessageFunctor *test = new TEntityMessageFunctor<Entity>(this, &Entity::OnUpdate);

SiCrane, you just made my Christmas giftlist. I think I tried everything but that, Thank you :)

Is there any reason why GCC will choke on that but VC++ doesn't? Is it just down to standards compliance?

Basically, without doing the &Entity:: part, OnUpdate by itself is of type member function. A member function type can decay to either a reference to a member function or a pointer to a member function, but the pointer to a member function decay is only performed if there is an unambiguous use of the object as a pointer to member function type. However, in the case of template function instantiation, the unambiguous use isn't there, so gcc spazzes. By putting the &Entity:: part in, you make the OnUpdate explicitly of type pointer to member function and everything clicks for the compiler.

But, yeah, it's a real pain in the rear to figure out what's going on the first time it happens to you.

edit: spelling

[Edited by - SiCrane on December 6, 2004 5:01:38 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!