Sign in to follow this  
Tree Penguin

Noise on high framerates?

Ok, this really freaked me out, i had a small ogl window (just black, nothing on it) and i saw the framerate was like 1500 fps, so i thought let's try to reach the 10,000 frames per second by making the window smaller. When i got to 5000 fps some noise came out of my pc, it sounded like spinning a wheel of a bike that squeeks at a certain point (can't explain it any better, sorry). It sounded like the sound came from my power supply but it could also have been my cpu fan, the strange thing is that my cpu fan speed is fixed and the gfx card didn't get above 65 degrees C at all (so i guess it didn't need that much power), also the cpu didn't heat up. Has any of you had this before? And does anyone have a reasonable explanation for the noise? The gfx card, the power supply (500watt superflower) and the cpu fan (coolermaster) are all brand new.

I dont use OpenGL, only D3D, but suppose this could be similar... with really high framerates (i.e. small window, no drawing) my speakers start emitting a very quiet whistling noise. If you turn the speakers up, it gets louder, off and the noise goes away. Close the app/vsync-it and it goes away.

I just presumed I was going mad, so learnt to ignore it [grin]

Jack

Speakers? it *could* be the pc speaker but it certainly ain't my stereo speakers.

Btw, i had it again getting an astonishing 12,000 fps with a 125x20 sized screen hehe :P, imagine that we will be playing doom3 at such a framerate within a matter of years :P.

Also, it's quite strange that once in a few times i start up my app with a black screen i get a framerate of 2000 instead of like 900, i guess that's a windows thing.

Guest Anonymous Poster
i got the same problem. my pc is open and i hear it very loud, from 1k fps. funny thing, when i use simple bitmap fonts (i use it for my ingame console) the noise comes up with low fps. i get the same noise is some games with a lot of text (eve online for example) or with Internet Explorer when scrolling websites with much text (ep only ie, no other browser makes this noise). i googled for the problem and it comes from my graphic card, a lot of ppl with the same gfx card hear this noise. my card: "leadtek winfast geforce 5900" .. with the time you wont hear it ;)

Strange, it could be because of the caption changing every frame then if it's about text, still it's weird. I got a 6800GT so it might be an nvidia thing but still i am completely sure that it didn't come from my gfx card but from my cpu fan or my power supply (or something between them, might be the pc speaker, i will have a look later).

I am glad it's not just me though.