Homosexual smokers

Started by
82 comments, last by JexMX 19 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by flukus
Currently the only federal politicians that support gay marriage are the greens, democrats and factions of the labor party, so it will unfortuneatly be illegal for the forseeable future.

The good news, at least for lesbian couples, is that the can protest by having one partner work and the other collect single parent pension!
Yeah... although you'd think all-boys-school Johnnie and his friends would be all for it. I haven't had a TV for a year or so so I'm kinda out of touch with local politics, although I get plenty of the American variety from teh gamedevnetlounge.

I've never understood stopping other people from doing stuff that doesn't harm anyone or affect me. I guess that's why I'm not in government.

As to the lesbian couple thingy - hey, if they got two kids they could both get the single parent pension! Not that that's enough to do more than live in social services housing eating baked beans...
Advertisement

Fag
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Quote:Today a bill was passed for Civil Unions (marrige for gay couples). I totally support this, and I can't believe it has taken this long to happen. It's like giving women the vote - retrospectively, I can't believe how they COULDN'T have the vote.

I support the right of homosexual couples in long-term relationships to enjoy the same legal benefits as a married couple. However, one thing that worries me about civil unions is that because they're just a legal term, they don't have any real significance, so I think there's some potential for abuse.

For example, assume that it's 2040 and civil unions == marriage for all intents and purposes. Both I and my roommate are straight. But if we went to City Hall and asked for a civil union license, we'd both be entitled to all the benefits of being married without actually being married. This would be great for tax breaks -- we could, for instance, file a joint tax return and deduct our rental costs twice.

In fact, if both our salaries are relatively low (as they are when you're a college student), we could wind up paying no taxes at all. I do some stock market trading, so even when I don't work at all I usually wind up paying about $2,500 in capital gains taxes each year. The deductions I'd be able to take from being in a civil union would be very tempting. Sure, I'd get some flak from my friends about doing it, but it's not illegal in the slightest. And I'd be saving at least $2,500 a year at least! The jury's still out for me on whether or not that's unethical or merely very clever, though; I'll have to think about it some more.

Additionally, we could also marry without qualms; just have the civil union nullified when one of us wants to marry. In fact, some of the civil union laws I've seen don't prevent you from being in a civil union *and* a marriage at the same time.

Quote:Also, as of midnight tonight, smoking is banned in all bars and restaurants (in fact, most indoor public places). I fully support this one as well, because there's nothing worse than coming home stinking of stale smoke.

In the United States, the federal government leaves this decision to municipalities and states. Most states have at least some anti-smoking laws (no smoking inside schools or hospitals), and a good deal of places elect to ban smoking on their property even if the law doesn't require it (hotels and restaurants). In New York City, you pretty much can't smoke indoors anymore. Do I support this? Wholeheartedly; when your actions have negative health effects that extend beyond the boundaries of your body, you're responsible for them.
- k2"Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ} | {Blog/Journal} | {[email=kkaitan at gmail dot com]e-mail me[/email]} | {excellent webhosting}
Quote:Original post by doogle
Also, as of midnight tonight, smoking is banned in all bars and restaurants (in fact, most indoor public places). I fully support this one as well, because there's nothing worse than coming home stinking of stale smoke.

I don't smoke, but I loath the idea that big brother can step into any bar or restaurant and tell them to take their smokes outside. Let the establishment decide if they want to allow smoking or not. If people don't like it, then they'll go to another bar.
Quote:Original post by smr
I don't smoke, but I loath the idea that big brother can step into any bar or restaurant and tell them to take their smokes outside. Let the establishment decide if they want to allow smoking or not. If people don't like it, then they'll go to another bar.

Apparently the public don't like to be around smoking (as seen in this thread) so we have the right to make a law against it in public places. That's why we elect people to make laws for us. It's not saying you can't smoke if you want to, it's saying you can't smoke in public places. The whole point of voting in government officials is so they will do the publics bidding. If you don't like the laws, then vote someone else in to change things. The government has to pick a side to be on, either they side with the smokers and let them smoke anywhere they want or they're with the non-smokers and ban smoking in public places. The majority of people are non-smokers and so the government should rightfully side with them.
Well, it's very understandable, New Zealand simply traded one kind of smoking for another...
"I study differential and integral calculus in my spare time." -- Karl Marx
God says man on man relationships is bad. Are you telling me GOD is WRONG?!?!?!

God says smoking is bad. Good decision there : )
Quote:Original post by SAE Superman
Quote:Original post by smr

Apparently the public don't like to be around smoking (as seen in this thread) so we have the right to make a law against it in public places. That's why we elect people to make laws for us. It's not saying you can't smoke if you want to, it's saying you can't smoke in public places. The whole point of voting in government officials is so they will do the publics bidding. If you don't like the laws, then vote someone else in to change things. The government has to pick a side to be on, either they side with the smokers and let them smoke anywhere they want or they're with the non-smokers and ban smoking in public places. The majority of people are non-smokers and so the government should rightfully side with them.

The majority of people in the US don't want to give homosexuals the right to marry. Does that mean that it's okay to pass a law banning homosexual unions?

Government's purpose is not to enable the majority to oppress the minority. Although many people do not smoke, there are many who do. Why does the majority have the right to tell people that they can't smoke? As far as I'm concerned, a bar is not a public place. It is a privately owned establishment and should not be subject to any public smoking laws.

Government doesn't have to choose the majority or the minority's side. Government should be on the side of civil liberties.
But a bar IS a public place. Do you need to be a member to enter? They are not trying to restrict your choice to smoke or not. They are restricting WHERE you can smoke because it is harmful to the people around you. You are saying someone's right to smoke anywhere they want supercedes my right to have a HEALTHY, happy life. I don't buy that [smile]
You also have the right not to go to the bar.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement