Where to learn about doing AI and Engine programming

Started by
5 comments, last by serratemplar 19 years, 4 months ago
I would like to know how to program AI and make 3D graphics engines for my games. I have seen only one book for each but i would like an online tutorial because i don't have much money.
Lord_BuctreeDead Grass Interactive
Advertisement
Here is a really nice site covering AI. AI Depot
Steven Bradley .:Personal Journal:. .:WEBPLATES:. .:CGP Beginners Group:. "Time is our most precious resource yet it is the resource we most often waste." ~ Dr. R.M. Powell
Scroll to the top of this page and click on Articles.
Free Mac Mini (I know, I'm a tool)
I want something online, a tutorial, one one 3D game engine programming and one on AI programming!
Lord_BuctreeDead Grass Interactive
If you actualy want to learn these skills then "painting by numbers" style of programming you get from most online tutorials really doenst teach you anything more than how to rip-off the tutorial.

The best bet is to learn the theory. If you know the coding lang' your going to use and learn the theory then coding somthing based on the theory is both fun and a good programming exercize it also alows you to adapt what you have learnt for use on other programs.
As for online stuff I personaly dont know anyone who studies any subject who can learn better from behind a keybord than they can sitting down in a comfy chiar with a book.

You know what you want and what you need from this material so im not trying to say your wrong. just chucking in my 2 pence worth as someone hos not long started in hobbyist games developing.
Studying the theory is good. Sometimes people need to see an example of something in action. I remember when i was trying to do collision detection it was a pain. Instead of taking a look at how other people carried out collision detection i sat down for hours doing it my own way which got me nowhere and an unfinished game.

It's good to use tutorials as a place to go for troubles but don't use them to hold your hand.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Looking for video game music? Check out some of my samples at http://www.youtube.c...ser/cminortunes            

I'm currently looking to create music for a project, if you are interested e-mail me at cminortunes@gmail.com    

Please only message me for hobby projects, I am not looking to create music for anything serious.
3d land involves boku calculus and any AI short of a finite state machine is going to involve modal logic. And the practice behind making an "engine" involves a pretty good level of understanding of things like inheritance and polymorphism and general abstraction of graphics protocols and...what I'm tryin to say in a nut shell is there is no cover-all step-by-step tutorial for these topics. These topics fall under advanced, and what that means is you're going to be doing less of readin tutorials and more of reading articles and books. Classes would be a huge benefit too.

The articles on this site are pretty good. I'm gonna check out that "ai depot" place myself. And I'm taking calculus over the course of this coming summer =) cause it's been years since I done that fancy stuff.

Good luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement