!! - My BIG Tutorial

Started by
5 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 4 months ago
Please take the time to check out this little "book" I made about programming action games in Flash. It's about 40 pages in both printed and HTML versions. Attached is the HTML version of my tutorial. I realize most of the people on this board probably aren't Flash people, really...but I just think my tutorial's kinda cool. ;) It encompasses everything from starting Flash, to using its pre-defined functions, to tricks of programming action games, to how to use trig and calculus to program games. I really hope it helps someone.....perhaps. ^_^ Download from CBoard: http://cboard.cprogramming.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5064
Advertisement
I only had time to skim it, but I get the feeling in places you're not totally clear on your audience, for instance:

Quote:
Variables

What is a variable? A variable is a placeholder for a value that you create. It can EASILY be manipulated at any time. This is why it’s good to have variables, rather than constants. If your character’s Speed is 5 (which is 5 pixels per frame), and you wish to have a speed upgrade for him at some point in the game, you’d need to use a variable to make speed changeable. Here is how you create a new variable.

MySpeed =5;

It’s that easy. Before we go on though, I must stress the meaning of the assignment operator in programming (=). You absolutely CANNOT have a constant on the left side of that sign. Because ‘=‘ means “assign whatever value is on the left to the value of what’s on the right.” And you can’t re-assign a constant. 5=x; is absolutely NOT acceptable. That would suggest that 5 is now equal to whatever x is: 1, 2, 3, 4, ?, 6.….

Are you targetting a technical audience (who would be expected to know what 'assignment' means in this context), or a not-quite-so-technical audience (as the question 'What is a variable?' implies). You either need to simplify/expand the discourse or remove those bits you can assume the audience knows.

Similar for the conditional statements, you're using technical terms while presuming no knowledge of if-then-else sequences. You're either going to piss people off (for patronizing) or confuse them.

Saying that, I think what you've done is good and certainly Flash is a worthy topic for discussion. What you should probably do is split the tutorial up into several sections, one focusing on the intro to Flash and scripting (perhaps with a 'fast track' for those familiar with programming), one focusing on the math section you did and perhaps another that demonstrates the construction of a complete (but simple) game - say Space Invaders or something.
Awesome! I'll give it a read through and tell you what I think.
1. download a zip and open it? No.

2. get some free hosting and put it in html on there ie geocities.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
1. download a zip and open it? No.

2. get some free hosting and put it in html on there ie geocities.

Done and done.

http://www.nudnik-headache.net/tut
Took me only about an hour to get through and fully understand the tutorial. I think I will program my first flash game later on tonight :)

But this is of course only because I am already a veteran C++ game developer. I imagine some programming newbies might have trouble understanding the programming concepts so quickly. (Although you did a decent job of explaining the stuff)

You will want to fix the comment example:
*/ This will go on and on… …And on… until I terminate the comment with */
Should be:
/* This will go on and on… …And on… until I terminate the comment with */

This is the perfect tutorial for established developers who just need a boost in the right direction to get started in flash.

Thanks
--http://www.geenat.com - Gnat's Software Design and Development Bloghttp://www.lanpartyeh.com - Canadian LAN Party Communityw00t!
So are there free tools for making flash programs? Do I have to buy something?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement