Sign in to follow this  

ATI drivers in FC3

This topic is 4717 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was thinking of trying out Fedora Core 3. I have tryed Linux before, but I had a Leadtek GeForce FX 5200 video card and couldn't install the video Drivers. I heard the FC3 already has the packages for the ATI drivers(I have an ATI Radeon 9600XT) I wanted to play Americas Army without all the hastle of installing the drivers. Will they already be there? If not, is it easy to obtain and install the drivers?

No one seems to be interested in my thread... I did get FC3 running, It detects my Radeon 9600 fine and everything, But how do I enable 3d exceleration to play games like Americas Army?

Another issue, It wont mount Audio CDs, Also try to play any audio CD in the CD player, but it gives me an error... When I get home I will see if I can just rip the songs to my hdd, but I doubt it will work. [sad] any help is very welcome!

i dont know much about fedora. mandrakelinux detects readeons but it accelerates 3d gfx only for the root account by default. so try to run your game from that account. another solution is to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config file. add the following lines at the end of it:

Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
EndSection

that sould enable 3d acceleration for every user in your system

Quote:
Original post by happybara
i dont know much about fedora. mandrakelinux detects readeons but it accelerates 3d gfx only for the root account by default. so try to run your game from that account.

You shouldn't use root account for anything but admin stuff.. I have "working" 3D acceleration on an ATI card with my regular user account (propiertary drivers etc.)

You have 2 choices: DRI Open source drivers and ATI propietary drivers. DRI have less features, I dont know if the one shipped with FC 3 supports the latest cards like 9600. So, I dont know if DRI drivers can run AMerica's Army. I guess you have to try official drivers.
For Nvidia, installing the propietary drivers isnt too hard and gives the best perfomance for gaming.

The DRI drivers have several issues, they're slower and contains many rendering bugs (at least when I tried them with radeon 9200). And they don't support S3TC texture compression, which results in major slowdown in many games. But for S3TC, patch is available, it isn't included in DRI because of IPs.

ATI's propriety drivers don't have these issues. But they aren't very stable... NVIDIA is better choice for Linux than ATI IMHO. No flame indended...

Indeed, the best option is Nvidia. Im pretty sure you will find drivers for FC3 if you wait a couple of weeks, they are fast releasing updated versions when new distros are available.
My advice, if you want to play, stick to nvidia and install their official drivers. If you plan to switch cards often, then you will have a problem. Last time I changed from nvidia to ati card, I had to reinstall all system to get opengl working again.

Guest Anonymous Poster
You need ATI's proprietary driver for 3D acceleration. That driver does not have support for FC3's X server yet. They are releasing a new driver shortly (mid January) which will have support for the X.org X server.

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
They are releasing a new driver shortly (mid January) which will have support for the X.org X server.

Or so we hope....

Quote:
Taken off Rage3D forums
Hey guys.

Sorry for the delay hitting this thread. I understand the frustration, but we had some unexpected requirements crop up that needed attention immeadiately. This has resulted in a number of stability improvements on the AGP, PCIe and AMD64 fronts for the new drivers.

This unfortunately resulted in a delay for the drivers. We have completed the work, and now must wait for the web-posting train for ati.com for the drivers to be posted officially. With Christmas/New Year, this will most likely be before the middle of January.

Not as a teaser, but as an answer to the questions, the new drivers will have a number of major new features...

o AMD64/EM64T Support
o XOrg 6.8 Support
o GLSL
o PCIe stability improvements

And of course we have bumped the major.minor version of the driver to match the Windows driver.

Once again, apologies to the Rage3D community for not being responsive for the last month. Some of the members on the Beta Program can probably make comment on the new drivers as well.

Regards,

Matthew

link to the forum where this was posted here

Getting an ATI card working under most Linux distros is something that I would categorize right next to raising the dead, under the "impossible" column.

I will *never* buy an ATI card for just this reason. nVidia all the way.

hi...actually i think you are being a bit unfair to ATI. I have a radeon 9600 and ever since i first installed the drivers (ver 3.10.something iirc) i have had no problems other than the one time I didnt RTFM good enough. As a matter of fact i hade some problems installing NVIDIA drivers on one computer. As with stability, i have had no issues whatsoever with my card or drivers.

What i am trying to say here is that i _think_ peaople only hear that ATI drivers will mess up both your head and computer and decide that ATI sucks without trying for themselves.

And, with the new drivers coming soon (yeah i know we heard it before ;)) with xorg 6.8 suppart and GLSL and stuff i really think ATI is back in the linux "market".

Just my 2 coins to the discussion

peace
--Spencer

ATI's problem has been simple allocation of resources, I mean go back a few years and their windows drivers sucked, they've improved greatly over the years and its only really recently they have turned their attensions back towards Linux and part of that is due to the extra attension going into the OpenGL section of the driver (iirc they were unifying bits of it as well).

People who say 'never' based on a current feature are frankly stupid. Sure I wouldnt try ATI with Linux right now, but after this driver release it might be more viable, much like I said I wouldnt by an ATI card in the past coz of shoddy windows drivers, but they improved those and I jumpped ship.

Oh, and in my experiance NV's drivers have some fun issues as well on linux, such as REALLY slow start up with a GF3 is you dont use a perticular switch to turn off detection on the TV port, took me AGES and a few reinstalls to work out the problem so gg there NV [grin]

Guest Anonymous Poster
Well the drivers are *apparently* due on monday - check on www.rage3d.com forums.
This has been advised by the developer.

Guest Anonymous Poster
FYI: posted by mtippett
Quote:

Okay.

So we now have an official release date - it will come out with the posted next monday - the 17th January.

Once again, the development teams and web teams have procedures that we must go through. This unfortunately creates a delay between completion and posting, Christmas didn't help. Since our projected post date (mid January) ended up being right beside some other ati.com work - the two have been folded intogether.

Informing the web team to 'post the drivers now' doesn't serve to accelerate the process.

So next Monday is the day!

Sign in to follow this