tools programming

Started by
7 comments, last by uto314 19 years, 4 months ago
Hi, I am looking for some documentations, threads, links (or whatever) related to software design and tools programming (such a game's world editor for instance). Especially on : - the user interaction part (for example the management of the application mode, for example when the user pick a camera in the world window the application enter in a camera's manipulation mode and when the user select a FPS viewing mode the application enter in a FPS navigation mode). - the integration of the differents graphical entities of the game editor (edges hilight, cameras' positions diplay, ...) and the game rendering engine. Thanks. -uto- ps : I observed that only a few of my posts are answered and I try to figure out why .... that's might be because of my english or because my post are meaning less ... so if some one could light me about that that would be great :)
- a human beyond the bug -
Advertisement
Hi Uto.

I haven't seen your other posts, but this is quite a difficult question to answer. I'm not sure that there would be any documents that specifically talk about these issues for game editors. There are lots of articles and books discussing them individually however, such as Human Computer Interaction, software design, etc.

The integration of the different software components would be very arbitrary I think, based upon the choice and design of each component you use.

Your English seems fine to me, perhaps you need to focus on more specific problems rather than really general questions. For example, post asking about the best way to switch between user modes in an editor and what people liked or disliked about various editors.
Thanks for your reply,
to be more specifique I would like to get some documentation about the mode management in game engine, I wrote a simple way to manage that because I need the things work, but I dislike to have to change the code if I add a new mode. I think that I am able to find a "elegant" solution but that's not the purpose of my project and a link to some documentation might make me save some time :).

The rendering part is more important for me, and to find a good design seems not that simple. I ever post something about that. To summary :
I have a engine which is able to render a scene (the game scene for example). I use this renderer to render the scene into the editor, and I use an other renderer to render the editor features such camera, selected edges or faces ... . I don't really like that, because that implies a lot of special cases.

The best things for me could be to find the source code of an editor. So if someone has a link...:)

thanks,
-uto-
The canonical solution to modes in object oriented programming is the State pattern.

Here, the states would be the modes themselves, and the things that would be handled would be something like keypress events.

Nothing comes to mind for your graphics integration problem.
---New infokeeps brain running;must gas up!
Thanks, that's a kind of reply that I would expected.

-uto-

[Edited by - uto314 on December 14, 2004 12:14:50 AM]
Quote:Original post by uto314
- the integration of the differents graphical entities of the game editor (edges hilight, cameras' positions diplay, ...) and the game rendering engine.
Now that I think about it again, I think you want Model-view-controller architecture. Here, the Model is your graphical entities, the Views are the rendering engine and the normal parts of the editor (what kind of game is this? FPS? Then your other views would most likely be the XY, YZ, and XZ wireframe displays.). The controller is the application, and considering your other problem, it's probably also the context from the State pattern.

Quote:ps : I observed that only a few of my posts are answered and I try to figure out why .... that's might be because of my english or because my post are meaning less ... so if some one could light me about that that would be great :)
Your English is indeed pretty perplexing. Specifically, you use words with similar roots but dissimilar meanings and usage interchageably. For instance: "I am looking for some documentations, ... related to software design". "documents", meaning papers concerning the subject, would be a more appropriate word than "documentation", which more often means the process of recording the steps taken in a procedure (i.e. logging). More often, though, you specify the types of documents for which you're looking (websites), rather than use the word. And the plural form is almost always wrong anyway. Another example of this is the misuse of "light" for "enlighten". "light" as a transitive verb means to set on fire. Another is "to summary" when what you want "summarize". Summary is not even a verb (and thus adding "to" to the beginning does not make sense).

Another problem is the plurality of verbs. The rule of thumb is that there's an 's' on either the subject or the verb. As an example, "when the user pick a camera", there should be an 's' on "pick" -> "picks". Obviously, this rule does not work if there is a compound subject (two subjects joined with "and") or a subject with a plural that does not end in 's'.

Your verb tenses are also incorrect. "that I would expected", for instance. It's either "would expect" or "would have expected". All of the verbs in a sentence comprise the tense. Tenses are one of the more difficult parts of English, so here is a link on the subject.

There are many words in English that cannot be split apart. "because my posts are meaning less" actually means your posts mean less than something else that is left unspecified.

Finally, you used an infinitive instead of an infinitve in at least one case, so you might find this link helpful.

The other thing I can think of that would make us unlikely to respond to your posts is the level of the questions you're asking. I'm not familiar with your other posts, but if this one is any indication, there's nothing here that reading a book or website on patterns couldn't answer.
Thanks for your reply and your study about my english,
To be more specific :
I have two kind of graphic objects : the game's objects (simple mesh for instance) and the editor's objects (camera, path trajectory, or whatever which can be usefull for the tool's user)).
Starting from that I would like an advice about if it's a better thing to have a specific scene graph for the editor that hold the game scene graph, or find a way to integrate the editor's objects within the game scene graph.

There are some pros and cons for the two methods. For example the first give you more freedom about the way you want to integrate the editor's objects, but that implies more special cases.

-uto-

[Edited by - uto314 on December 14, 2004 8:47:03 PM]
I'd do the second, in order to avoid coupling the game on the editor. You'd need to code the editor so that it produced meshes (or whatever kinds of things your game renderer can render). It sounds like if you did the first, you'd need to have your editor do some rendering, which doesn't seem like a good idea.
I agree that the more general solution, I'll try to find a way to do that, but that's not that simple because of the different nature of graphic the editor objects and the ones that holds the game rendering engine. I'll probably have to add more stuff in the game rendering engine.
-uto-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement