Sign in to follow this  

External hardware/serial programming

This topic is 4749 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been looking into doing some external hardware creation and writing my own drivers/interfaces for external hardware. Hardware being such things as serial devices. I've found some resources on the writing interfaces between programs and hardware, and I figured I'd also check here to see if anyone had any good resources or knew of any 'good' books for that matter. Thanks.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Hey,
Our microprocessor apps class did this last year. We wrote a program in x86 asm to send commands to a robot over a serial connection. Doing this with assembly is very easy (Ive never done this in any other language so I am not sure how that would be). I can send you the source code if you would like, along with the lab report that i believe describes how the program works. The code isn't documented very well, however i think you can probably figure it out. write me at mikaelnelson_nospam_@gmail.com just remove the _nospam_ ...

Resources or books? nah. Basically just use CreateFile() to open a COM port, and then write data to it. If you're using an embedded microcomputer, most of them have serial ports to connect up to. If you're using a microcontroller you may have to write your own serial comms code, but even then it ain't terrifically hard.

Do you want to actually write system drivers (ie. for a home-made joystick or something that connects up to a serial port) or just talk to the device?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by fractoid

Do you want to actually write system drivers (ie. for a home-made joystick or something that connects up to a serial port) or just talk to the device?

Actually, both. Not so much that I need to, but just out of curiosity and amusement.

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by fractoid

Actually, both. Not so much that I need to, but just out of curiosity and amusement.

That was me above. I was clicking too fast and didn't realize I hadn't signed in.

This topic is 4749 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.