Sign in to follow this  

Pointers to static object during static init?

This topic is 4748 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Quick question: Say I need to store away a pointer to a static object in another static object. I do not need to actually use that pointer until well after static initialization. The question is - will that pointer be(come) valid, even if the static object has not yet been constructed? I'm under the impression that they are valid, but I need to know for sure.

Acquiring the pointer itself should be fine, provided you only use static type information to get the pointer (no dynamic_casts).

I'm pretty sure it'll be fine. It's just a pointer, and the memory for the static object is reserved when the linker is executed. Therefore it's only a matter of whether the linker will allocate the static before the other struct is given the address of it. I think that if this wasn't going to work then you'd know when you get a linker error.

This topic is 4748 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.