[web] Quiz Website

Started by
11 comments, last by TANSTAAFL 19 years, 4 months ago
I am interested in creating a website similar to Quizilla. What web scripting system would be most efficient for this task? I have previous PHP and ASP web development experience, but I do not know which ones are more suited for this task. I have PHP, ASP, &#106avascript, JSP, (Not ColdFusion), and CGI as options. Which ones would work best? Note: I use a Windows XP platform, and have no access to a Linux machine. Maybe a shell account...
Advertisement
I would say php, but that is only because I am a php bozo. ;)
You would have to do it with php, asp, or cgi. Personally I don't like cgi period.
Depends on what you like and what you will be using to store the data(databases, files).
Yeah, I don't like CGI either.

ASP vs. PHP.

I hear ASP hosting costs lots of money.
Yup, it is called Macro$oft. PHP is open source and free.
Plus about any linux host has php, it is a lot harder to set asp up on linux, but it can be done with a program called mono.
http://www.pcquest.com/content/search/showarticle.asp?arid=47162&way=search
'Traditional' ASP (eg: VBScript/JScript) on Linux costs $$$ as you need to purchase a component from ChilliSoft (now Sun). You can use Apache's Perl/ASP module if you don't mind perl scripting, but if you're doing that you may as well use PHP in my opinion.

If you want ASP.NET, then (ironically) it's free as you use mod_mono under apache or run XSP, a .NET web server (mod_mono basically invokes XSP). Mono is free and supports compilation of C#, MonoBasic (a clone of VisualBasic) and other .NET languages. You can successfully use .NET assemblies compiled under MS's compilers under Mono provided you have the correct assembly references installed. In my experience, it's not too difficult to use Mono for ASP.NET and it's not that buggy.

Mono's not ready for production servers yet as it's not capable of heavy loads, but when it's more complete, stable and error-free I believe that ASP.NET will become very important under Linux.
Quote:Original post by evolutional
Mono's not ready for production servers yet as it's not capable of heavy loads, but when it's more complete, stable and error-free I believe that ASP.NET will become very important under Linux.

I totally agree, php is so popular because it is a free alternative that can do what asp can. If asp can be free and run on linux, I think we will start seeing a lot more hosts with it, which will make it more popular.
ASP != ASP.NET ;P

Does PHP have any form of Web Services? I can see that as being very cool if they hit the mass 'indie' market.

And yes - PHP tends to be a lot cheaper than ASP hosting. ASP.NET hosting is especially expensive, but I can see that a stable Mono will bring ASP.NET to the mass-market and hence lower the price. Which will be very cool.
I'm not an APS.NET ;) man myself, so could you go into a little more details about the web services? I know they use SOAP and I know php has it.
It is definetely PHP now. I've had experience with this, and it is all set up.

I'm using Apache on a Windows XP box. Is this secure enough? I have NO access to a Linux machine.

Also, should I use MySQL?
Plan the data that you'll need to store for your site and then decide if it's worth a database or some other flatfile method such as XML. Personally, I see MySQL as being suitable for the type of site you're making - have you ever used MySQL before? It's pretty easy to install and get going.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement