What Do ya think?*Turn Based or Real Time

Started by
16 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 4 months ago
I used turn based for my first game(link below) and i hate to say this, but it was a complete bore for me after awhile. Especially when you are coding the battle engine and have to go through the turn based battle to test it, it just becomes very very boring.

One of the main reasons i made it turn based was because, i felt it was much easier to code in terms of complexity though it was much more tedious(Menu coding). Also this was for my FYP so i had very tight schedules to deliver the game. Also this meant i could do away with AI programming.

But then again i know of people who dont mind spending weeks playing Classic Turn Based RPGs. I guess i just dont have the patience.
Advertisement
If it got too boring, just make it a *fast* turn-based combat. Just because it happens to be in turns it doesn't means you have to make things take forever to happen. Recently I played a little Korean PC RPG with a battle system that was very similar to FF series. Each character/enemy got an action bar, and get to perform an action when it fills up. By right clicking, you could fast forward the game until someone's bar got full, and that greatly increased the pace during battles.
ok i guess this is my fault i wasnt clear. by real time i mean that it isnt your teams turn then the enemys what happens is that each player/monsters attack bar fills up then when full you can attack (the bar will be increased by some % of agility each turn)

now if i were to do like REAL REAL-time were every one just runs around kicking the crap out of each other i could eliminate the menus and just have key combos but the AI would be a heck of alot more complex so its a trade off personaly i think i would gain more from the AI but it might be beyond me, Ive already done a normal pause menu and their a pain to get everything layed out
____________________________"This just in, 9 out of 10 americans agree that 1 out of 10 americans will disagree with the other 9"- Colin Mochrie
You could do it with encounter tables like AD&D. Make some hashtables, and store in them key/value pairs that are a <percentage chance>/<pointer to type of monster> and when determining an encounter, give a percentage and check it against the hashtable. This way you can create generic encounter tables for desert, forest, etc etc, and you can make subsets of them for easy, normal, hard, etc. And then if you have a special area that doesn't fit the standard, you can build an encounter table for that and use it.

Hashtables are your friend. :-)
=========================Buildium. Codium. Fragium.http://www.aklabs.net/=========================
HashTables? say what? whats that?

thanks
____________________________"This just in, 9 out of 10 americans agree that 1 out of 10 americans will disagree with the other 9"- Colin Mochrie
Quote:Original post by raptorstrike
ok i guess this is my fault i wasnt clear. by real time i mean that it isnt your teams turn then the enemys what happens is that each player/monsters attack bar fills up then when full you can attack (the bar will be increased by some % of agility each turn)

Sound exactly like FF. But keep in mind that that is NOT real time at all. It's still in turns, since characters cannot attack or cast spells simultaneously. When someone bar get's filled and the command is selected, it'll be that charcter's turn.

Quote:now if i were to do like REAL REAL-time were every one just runs around kicking the crap out of each other i could eliminate the menus and just have key combos but the AI would be a heck of alot more complex so its a trade off personaly i think i would gain more from the AI but it might be beyond me, Ive already done a normal pause menu and their a pain to get everything layed out

Well, there are some mixtures of turn-based and real-time that can make coding an AI easier, but maybe right now it's a good idea to stick with things you *know* how to do and have a few things you want to learn in the mix. Going head on with lots of unknown stuff right off the bat can often lead to frustation if you don't have a solid goal and lots of discipline.
yeah i stuck with a the timer based (bar) my actally a counter over the charictures head that counts to 100% ready then you can attack its going pretty good now i just have the menus to do
Did any of you guys ever try Dragon Warrior VII? That was a turn-based game and it was really nicely animated. The problem was, when I was playing until the wee hours of the morning, I was always falling asleep during battles. That's the difference between turn based and real time for me. :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement