• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Muncher

OpenGL opengl World data storage

This topic is 4999 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, im writing my second 3d engine :) And i have a question about storage of the verts/normals/texture coords etc etc. I was going to just cram all my data into a Vertex Buffer Object, then when rendering, find the visible polys and render them by an index array. But for a large amount of polys (ie/ 1,000,000) i estimated about 60mb+ that would be required in video memory :( I was wondering if anyone has a more elegant solution, that takes advantage of VBO's, but has a smaller memory footprint? Muncher

Advertisement
divide your data into chunks and render those chunks (you can still use vbo's, can even implement your own caching system for it). Do a search for ABT (Adabtive Binary Tree) on the Graphics Programming and Theory forum, might be some interesting reading.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!