• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
lord_buctree

What language after?

This topic is 5084 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
I'd suggest choosing something a bit different to C#, Java et al. Why not take a look at something like lisp? You may not want to write games with it but it'll give you a different view on programming.

I doubt you'd want to learn Pascal, it's ok, but kind of out-dated. You might want to learn a scripting language, to create game scripts, such as Python or LISP(although, LISP is going to be pretty different from C++, so it may take some getting used to). You don't need to learn another langauge, but a scripting language can come in handy.

How about sticking with C++ and be able to master it???
Otherwise Assembly would be a good choice to learn the basics of what is really going on...

I'd agree that pascal is unlikely to be of much value to you, but that a language with a different philosophy would help you become a stronger programmer overall.

If employment is your main concern, you should look at job listings to figure out what employers want that you don't already have.

I've been learning C++ for 7 years and still don't feel I know it.

Are you totally comfortable with templates, the standard library, metaprogramming, design patterns, policy based design, etc?

I'd recommend Lisp/Scheme as well as Python. Also read How to Design Programs

Guest Anonymous Poster
SQL is a good candidate too, since you might very well end up using it in C++ projects.

Scheme or Lisp would be good bets (try petewood's link, or: this or this - that last one is a bit sketchy though).

Python or Ruby are good choices too.

Personally I'd recommend OCaml or Haskell but then I always do ;)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!