What language after?

Started by
26 comments, last by Oluseyi 19 years, 4 months ago
What language should I learn after i have used C++ and OpenGL? I was kind of thinking about C# or Java, what do you think? Pascal?
Lord_BuctreeDead Grass Interactive
Advertisement
I say it depends on the things you're trying to achieve, how accomplished you feel with C++ and the things you want to learn.
Thanx, any of you know a good language to start with?
I maybe will go with C#, its always nice what other people say.
Lord_BuctreeDead Grass Interactive
I'd suggest choosing something a bit different to C#, Java et al. Why not take a look at something like lisp? You may not want to write games with it but it'll give you a different view on programming.
I doubt you'd want to learn Pascal, it's ok, but kind of out-dated. You might want to learn a scripting language, to create game scripts, such as Python or LISP(although, LISP is going to be pretty different from C++, so it may take some getting used to). You don't need to learn another langauge, but a scripting language can come in handy.
How about sticking with C++ and be able to master it???
Otherwise Assembly would be a good choice to learn the basics of what is really going on...
Killers don't end up in jailThey end up on a high-score!
I'd agree that pascal is unlikely to be of much value to you, but that a language with a different philosophy would help you become a stronger programmer overall.

If employment is your main concern, you should look at job listings to figure out what employers want that you don't already have.
You don't need to vote for the "lesser of two evils"! Learn about Instant Runoff Voting, the simple cure for a broken democracy!
I've been learning C++ for 7 years and still don't feel I know it.

Are you totally comfortable with templates, the standard library, metaprogramming, design patterns, policy based design, etc?

I'd recommend Lisp/Scheme as well as Python. Also read How to Design Programs
SQL is a good candidate too, since you might very well end up using it in C++ projects.
Scheme or Lisp would be good bets (try petewood's link, or: this or this - that last one is a bit sketchy though).

Python or Ruby are good choices too.

Personally I'd recommend OCaml or Haskell but then I always do ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement