What is a good book for programming games with opengl

Started by
2 comments, last by Shai 19 years, 4 months ago
Hey everybody, the first thing, in my first post is to say: "I am sorry for my bad english" OK, now let's go: I would programming computer games with opengl. I'll found two relevante books: The first is "OpenGL Game Programming" and the second/last is "OpenGL Programming Guide". My Question is now, what is the best book? Or did anybody know an other better book? This question is relevant for me, because every book costs between 60 and 70 Euro. Much thanks Cu cool_zero
Advertisement
The CEO of this site (Dave Astle) co-wrote the first one OpenGL Game Programming. I have it and its quite good, goes through everything in relation to making games with OpenGL, including collision Detection.

Quite a good book!

Cant comment on the second one though as Ive never read it.
The second - OpenGL Programming Guide - is just that. It's a 'guide', and tells you about the functions of OpenGL, and how to use them. It teaches using GLU(GL Utility Library) and GLUT(GL Utility Toolkit).

It assumes a good knowledge of C programming, and that you are familiar with the following; geometry, trigonometry, linear algebra, calculus, differential geometry.

There are many different versions; I've got the 3rd Edition (for OpenGL 1.2), and there are editions printed that discuss OpenGL 1.4 also. I'd recommend getting the 3rd Edition(for v1.2), and later add the reference manual (as far as I know, the only reference manual available as a companion book, is for v1.2);

"Once you begin programming in OpenGL, you might want to obtain the 'OpenGL Reference Manual' by the OpenGL Architecture Review Board, which is designed as a companion volume to this guide."

The book on v1.4 is said to be extremely similar to the book on v1.2, and it's suggested to just get an update book that covers the additional topics, although it's your choice.
It's a very good book even if you are just learning, and the style of teaching is very upfront, laying out different topic areas clearly.

A good description of the book is actually given inside: -
"This guide explains how to program with the OpenGL graphics system to deliver the visual effect you want."

I haven't yet got the reference manual, but intend to in the near future.

Here are review of them both: -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0321173481/qid=1103038593/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-7268625-5567654
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201657651/qid=1103040122/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-7268625-5567654

Tarnge
OpenGL Game Programming -- definitely buy this one

if you're looking for something free: old version of the Red Book

of course that's assuming you know a bit of C++ already
"It's better to regret something you've done than to regret something you haven't done."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement