Sign in to follow this  

Game development college with sports program

This topic is 4748 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello! I've been searching everywhere for lists of game development colleges for my 16 year old (he's a junior). This site seems to have the best listing. However, other than Shawnee (which seems to be my only choice so far - has anyone gone there?), none of the colleges have any sports programs. My son has played soccer for 13 years and can possibly get a scholarship. He is more interested in the graphics end of game development, however I've a feeling he would also like some of the programming aspects as well. Does anyone know of a good game development college (in the U.S) with a sports (specifically a men's soccer program - Tulane only has a women's program) program? Thanks for your help! Dijares

It's not going to happen. These game development colleges are still startups, and as such do not have all the paraphernalia of traditional colleges. I still consider them a disservice as a substitute for a college education, because of the lack of interaction with students in other majors, on-campus organizations, athletics, alumni facilities, and so forth.

Since most of them have compressed duration programs, how about having your 16-year old attend a regular college, enrolled in Computer Science or Computer Graphics (Cornell University has just about the premier Computer Graphics program in the nation - radiosity was developed there, for instance - and they have a pretty decent soccer program, too; same with UNC Chapel Hill) and then attend a game development college for a 16-month program or something?

I find that good sports programs contribute immensely to the college experience, in part because they tend to strengthen alumni participation, and alumni participation tends to precipitate funding, which means more facilities and a nicer experience overall. I think you're right to emphasize the soccer program as much as the other aspects.

Oh, yeah, "regular" colleges are starting to provide game development programs on their campuses. UNC-CH would be a great school, if you're in North Carolina. They have an absolutely amazing Virtual Reality Lab, and there are game-oriented projects associated with that. I visited it once while I was at UNC Greensboro. CMU and Case also have interesting programs, and MIT has a lot of fascinating game-related activity organized around its Media Lab.

Good luck! [smile]

Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) had a post last week on gamasutra for a tenure track position in support of a new program in Interavtice Media and Game Development. I don't know what state the program is in (or if it's even been started) but check out:

Job posting to see what WPI looking for in a candidate:
http://www.cs.wpi.edu/~claypool/trash/game-ad.html

Interactive Media and Game Development major:
http://www.wpi.edu/Academics/Majors/IMGD/

And they have a varsity soccer program:
http://www.wpi.edu/Academics/Depts/PE/SoccerM/

WPI is very much a regular college. Its more than 100 years old and the computer science department has been around since 1970.

Best of luck,

.marc

Thanks for the advice. Hmm, not sure if he'd make it into a Division I school. He's smart, but it would be extremely difficult for us. I know there are programs out there, they're just difficult to find. It's his dream, tho, so I musn't give up.

Cheers!

dij

Quote:
Original post by Dijares
He is more interested in the graphics end of game development, however I've a feeling he would also like some of the programming aspects as well.

I agree completely with what Oluseyi wrote. However, most of the people on this site are programmers, so when you say "graphics end", most interpret that to mean graphics programming. You distinguished it from programming, so perhaps you mean an art degree?

Either way, the advice is the same. Go to a good college/university and study a broader subject. If your life's goal is to make games, then find one with game-related programs. Whatever you do, don't restrict your education to a subject only applicable to a small industry where you are not likely to find a job.

Also, people ask this sort of question all the time on this site. If you search this site for topics like "college", you will get lots and lots of information.

This topic is 4748 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.