Black Sky 1.2a is out!

Started by
12 comments, last by ViperG 19 years, 4 months ago
www.blackskygame.com

-New menu system, user can now adjust in game graphics on the fly. -New damage particles. -New debris particles. -Ships can now become disabled. -Ships can now leak and vent out gas/fire/coolent/plasma when damaged. -Ships can explode if they are damaged and near an exploding ship. -Reduced Impact rotation effect on player, increased on AI. -Reduced explosion force amount.

Black Sky A Star Control 2/Elite like game
Advertisement
Great it get's better and better all the time :)
Awesome. Runs well and looks beautiful [smile]

- Thomas Cowellwebsite | journal | engine video

Great, runs fine on 600Mhz/GF2 too.
Though I despise the WSAD controls, it makes it impossible for left-handed players to control stuff. Better add the cursor keys. Other than that, good job!
Quote:Original post by Prototype
Great, runs fine on 600Mhz/GF2 too.
Though I despise the WSAD controls, it makes it impossible for left-handed players to control stuff. Better add the cursor keys. Other than that, good job!

roger that
Nice work.

The background looks *much* nicer and more interesting on medium detail than it does on maximum detail. Why does the red nebula disappear when I upgrade the detail level?
While on that point, I do not at all understand the difference between the detail levels for the background. I can see that there are different layers, but unless those layers scroll at different speeds they may as well all be one bitmap and rendered in one pass. It seems you are doing extra rendering for no real reason.
Previously the repelling force of explosions was far too great. However, now it is so small that one might not even notice it. I would prefer something somewhere between the two extremes.
The leaking gas look nice, but it seems too neat and enclosed. To me it does not look like a gas/smoke trail. I’d have the particles expand more, fade slower (thus lasting longer), and I’d randomize the starting alpha / decaying speed a little more than you already do. I might even take away the initial velocity of the particles and rely on the movement of the spacecraft to spread the gas – not sure if it would look better or not.
Have you considered passing the velocity of the spacecraft on to the velocity of projectiles launched (or at least part of the spacecraft’s velocity)? This is done in many arcade space combat games (Subspace for example) and it introduces, apart from physical accuracy, more depth into combat.
I’m sure you know, but enemy ships will shoot at me even if I’m miles away (can hear the shot sound effects at full volume). The turret also does this when set to automatic.
I like the menu system, but felt that the menu should be the same pleasing blue color as the rest of the interface. Also, the radio buttons are too close to the menu dialog boarders. The spacing should perhaps be more even. A hotkey to open the menu quickly would be good.
Finally, I am still not a fan of the way in which the view lags behind instead of in front of my spacecraft when traveling at speed.

Anyhow, great job.

Hope this helps,
Jackson Allan
Thanks for the feedback. Apparently there is a bug. It has to do with video cards doing 4 passes or only 2. Cards that only do 2 will show the medium setting as the best detail. I'm going to work on that and fix it. I can either detect how many passes the video card supports, or just change the drawing order. I'm not exactly sure how the video cards pick which textures, but it looks like (im guesing)it's the first and the last out of the 4 textures. And if that was the case it would just be 2 star layers and no nebula. Either way I'm going to figure out a fix for that. I just wish I had a 2 pass video card right now instead of asking people questions all the time lol.

the way I draw it is
Space,
Nebula, add
spacelayer, add
spacelayer 2, add.

when you have a 2 pass video card it will only do 2 of them. I believe it keeps the first one then keeps the last one. I need to test this out.

Sorry about the lag, I keep forgetting to make it project instead of lag. Next release will have that I promise.

And yeah I have not put a distance check on firing. Next release will have that.

The next release will accept file reading. This way I can keep variables in a txt, or ini file, that the player can modify, so they can tweak out the explosion force and what not.

But next release I will increase it a little more. And i'll work on the leaks and make it a little more random.
I just put up 6 new screen shots on the site so you can see the new release graphics.

Link
Looks fantastic.

Jackson Allan
It PLAYS fantastic!! I really LOVE the way you can shoot in front of you while handling the other sides with the mouse, it's brilliant. The graphics look good enough to me, maybe a bit more detail on the ships, more contrast, less army. And the manouvring of the ship was a bit too slow. I need sharp turns and side rockets so I can do some tricks ala Gundam. [grin]

Very nice game, I hope you add more stuff to it. Rate++ and a Merry Christmas

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement