MSVC6's Intellisense

Started by
5 comments, last by Muhammad Haggag 19 years, 4 months ago
I just recently started having a lot of trouble with visual studio 6's intellisense. It will crash if I type . or -> or ( on certain classes/functions, and it doesn't go away once I restart visual studio. It is only specific classes and functions. Because of this, I had to turn off intellisense's features in the options, and when I did this I also noticed some random crashes seemed to stop happening. I would install visual C++ express 2005, but I can't install it because it says it needs XP SP2, however, that refuses to install (IT IS A LEGAL COPY OF XP, it came with the Dell computer!!). I'm just wondering if there are any ways to at least reduce these crashes because intellisense is invaluable, especially with a large project like the one I'm working on.
Advertisement
If you can get hold of a copy of .NET, i've had several problems with the vc6 intellisense, aswell as problems with inheritence and templates (internal compiler errors...nasty).
Adventures of a Pro & Hobby Games Programmer - http://neilo-gd.blogspot.com/Twitter - http://twitter.com/neilogd
Kibble try to download the latest SP for Visual Studio here. Tell me if this helps. Good luck!
Is it happening in a certain workspace only if you create a new project does it work again? if this is the case it could be that your ncb file is corrupt. This is where MSVC keeps its intellisence information. Try deleting the *.ncb file as MSVC will recreate it for you hopefully minus the corruption.
Quote:Original post by Richy2k
If you can get hold of a copy of .NET, i've had several problems with the vc6 intellisense, aswell as problems with inheritence and templates (internal compiler errors...nasty).

These I have learned to deal with, I just avoid partial specialization and I can usually fix what ever is causing these internal compiler errors. It is the intellisense crashing that I really can't (or don't want to work without) work around.

I installed sp6, deleted the .ncb file, and I haven't had any crashes since. Thanks guys!
Ahh crap, what happened to the warning you will post as an AP?

edit: Just had another arbitrary IDE crash though...I really need to upgrade to .Net.

[Edited by - Kibble on December 14, 2004 8:05:01 PM]
Delete the *.ncb file in your workspace/project folder - it's used by intellisense, and it sometimes gets messed up. Intellisense will rebuild it as you work.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement